Splitter Box.

frosty55

Does anyone know of a splitter box of any sort that would split the signal from the output of a minidisc player?
At present my band plays gigs with the use of a backing track with keyboards and bass on.
Is there any way the Minidisc outputs could feed my onstage monitor and the P.A. mixer simultaneously?
The small mixer that the MD goes into hasnt any aux channels or monitor sends with which to use.
Thanks.

If you want easy and mostly idiot-proof go for a passive DI. I normally try to avoid them when I know I can, but transformer isolation (and the ground lift switch) can save you a lot of fucking around a lot of the time. It would be a lot better to have a 1:1 transformer rather than the stepdown from a typical DI, but those are far less common. Most places with a PA should have a DI or two on hand, but you could get a cheap stereo unit for like $20 and just know that you're covered.

If you want easy and mostly idiot-proof go for a passive DI. I normally try to avoid them when I know I can, but transformer isolation (and the ground lift switch) can save you a lot of fucking around a lot of the time. It would be a lot better to have a 1:1 transformer rather than the stepdown from a typical DI, but those are far less common. Most places with a PA should have a DI or two on hand, but you could get a cheap stereo unit for like $20 and just know that you're covered.
How would a passive D.I. work? I have an EMO d.i. box but I cant see how it would accept left and right from the outputs of a minidisc player.

How would a passive D.I. work? I have an EMO d.i. box but I cant see how it would accept left and right from the outputs of a minidisc player.
If you actually need both channels, then I'm pretty sure you'd need two of 'em. ;)

Is there any way the Minidisc outputs could feed my onstage monitor and the P.A. mixer simultaneously?
The small mixer that the MD goes into hasnt any aux channels or monitor sends with which to use.
Thanks.

I'm just curious...if your PA mixer doesn't have any Aux or Monitor sends...how/with what do you feed your stage monitors now?

Just make one that parallels the output from the MD - Most kit nowadays is perfectly happy driving the lower impedance, and there's no really need for even isolating resistor - if you want add a 20-50K resistor, which will provide a little 'no silence' insurance if one gig somebody accidentally shorts one side of the split by perhaps letting the connector dangle and touch a ground or something.

Just make one that parallels the output from the MD - Most kit nowadays is perfectly happy driving the lower impedance, and there's no really need for even isolating resistor - if you want add a 20-50K resistor, which will provide a little 'no silence' insurance if one gig somebody accidentally shorts one side of the split by perhaps letting the connector dangle and touch a ground or something.
"Just make one that parallels the output from the MD?"
Sorry I dont understand.

"Just make one that parallels the output from the MD?"
Sorry I dont understand.

Pretty sure he meant build a box, but...

You really could use a simple Y-cable. It might work just fine in some situations. In others you'll have horrible ground loop buzz and won't be able to do anything about it. A DI will have that convenient switch which usually fixes it or at least makes it a lot better.

Do you really need both sides coming out of the MD?

When I was using backing tracks, I sent the right channel to the PA and the left channel to my monitors. (in ears) The left channel had the click and backing track and the right channel just had the backing track.

Even though a lot of PA's are wired in stereo, most of the time they are effectively run mono.

Pretty sure he meant build a box, but...

You really could use a simple Y-cable. It might work just fine in some situations. In others you'll have horrible ground loop buzz and won't be able to do anything about it. A DI will have that convenient switch which usually fixes it or at least makes it a lot better.

Do you really need both sides coming out of the MD?

I see what you mean. Think I will go with the outputs of the MD into an adapter with phonos one side, and a jack plug on the other. This would go into an Emo D.I. box with the loop out back into the P.A. and a long mic lead into the XLR input of the D.I.
Hope it works.....

AV Link High Quality Ground Loop Isolator Noise Reduction Filter - AV Link from Inta Audio UK

Yes ^ cheap as chips but works remarkably well for -10dbV ish applications ("domestic" levels )

You will still need to parallel the outputs somehow, a Y lead or better 3 TRS jacks in a tin wired pin for pin.
Said several times before. You can do this recording game with off the shelf units only so long as you stay with simple systems. Once you need a "special" you need the ability to solder and bash a bit of metal.

The old guard were not called recording "engineers" for nothing.

Dave.

AV Link High Quality Ground Loop Isolator Noise Reduction Filter - AV Link from Inta Audio UK

Yes ^ cheap as chips but works remarkably well for -10dbV ish applications ("domestic" levels )

You will still need to parallel the outputs somehow, a Y lead or better 3 TRS jacks in a tin wired pin for pin.
Said several times before. You can do this recording game with off the shelf units only so long as you stay with simple systems. Once you need a "special" you need the ability to solder and bash a bit of metal.

The old guard were not called recording "engineers" for nothing.

Dave.
So I would plug this Noise Reduction Filter into the outputs of the minidisc and the other end of it would split into the p.a. mixer and my monitor onstage?

So I would plug this Noise Reduction Filter into the outputs of the minidisc and the other end of it would split into the p.a. mixer and my monitor onstage?

No, you split the output of the MDisc first. One feed will be of the highest quality but not ground isolated* and would best perhaps serve the PA.

The output from the transformer isolator (second split) would feed the monitor where ultimate fidelity is not perhaps so important?

*It is IMHO, just confusing to call the device a "noise reduction filter" since it has no active devices that could reduce noise (such as a noise gate) neither is it any kind of "filter". It MIGHT reduce noise if such arose because of a hum/ground loop but in many circumstances such an issue will not occur.

Dave.

I mean simply wire two cables straight into one plug. If you can't solder then just use block connector for a bodge. Most md recorders have figure 8 mains cables and they are double insulated so the case is floating with reference to ground. Hums are rare. If one of the items has a 3 pin power cable then you might get him but you'd probably get it anyway. Before you spend money on isolation and cleverness try it. If you use a patch bay in the studio you probably do this without even knowing when you overpatch one device to different mixer channels on a half normalised bay. Passive paralleling is not a big deal and it's so simple.

Quite agree Rob, a hum loop is unlikely with a class ll insulated device. The desk and monitor might be 3 pin mains tho'?

But, yes again, K.I.S.Sir and just kludge the wires together, no shock or smoke hazard. You can even beat ground loops without transformers but IMHO any jobbing muso should have certain things handy. Traff isolator is one. DI box and MOST important a mains outlet wiring "tell you if it's safe" plug and an RCD earth leakage breaker!

Dave.

Yeah. The monitor and the PA will find a way to make a ground loop. If you are only ever going to play one venue, and you can prove that it's not a problem there, then you can just go with straight wire splits and be fine. If you want to be sure that you can get decent performance no matter where you set up, get yourself some transformers. I went looking for suitable unity transformers with the split built in (like a normal DI has), but couldn't find anything even close to affordable. A passive DI will actually work just fine. The step down in voltage is undesireable, but the little bit of extra broadband noise will be much easier to deal with than that incessant bzzzzzzz that comes from ground loops. It's not best practice, but it is standard procedure for about anybody trying to connect their laptop/mixer/active-whatever to the FOH.

That said: You know what i usually use to split signals? Well, somebody said patchbay earlier, and as it happens when I tore down the 7' rack and hocked all the hardware to go "all virtual", I was left with like 5 of those cheap modular 48 point patchbays. You know the ones where the box doesn't even go all the way around, and each module is just held in by the nut on the one jack? You're meant to be able to take them out and flip them over and reinstall to change the normal scheme. Well, I ripped those things out of one of the unused PBs, and use them all over the place. Keep a couple in my guitar case, a couple in my mic bag... They can be used to chain 1/4" cables together (who has a F>M cable when you need one?) or to mult signals. It doesn't sound like much, but they have been exactly what I needed to get the show going more times than I can count.

Further to Ash's point. When you have a spare 1/2hr or so just solder some TRS jack pin for pin. I just find some solid wire to run through them.

Two gives you a cable coupler (the inline jack sockets are all ***t except the expensive Nukes) Three gives you a coupler or a 2 way split. Four 3 ways...You get the idea.
They CAN go in a tin or ABS box but for most boshing applications just insulate with gaffer tape.

Dave.

Back