Spin off from parametric eq thread

perceive

Okay.. that thread is going places... this thread... I would like to tackle my issues (not my personality issues - they are much more difficult to resolve!)
I am looking for a parametric eq, rackmountable, for my guitar rig.
A such I am after something low to mid priced - I cannot see me being able to justify a multi thousand dollar eq and then play a high gain guitar through it!
Any advice appreciated..

Thanks!

Furman PQ series was/is kind of the classic one guitar players use. Aphex 109 is a good piece. Both are discontinued, so you gotta search. I'm sure there are more, those two pop into mind for me. Ashly ones show up fairly often too.

Thanks for that! Could be a bit difficult for both - I need to find the 220V/240V versions - time to check the bay I guess...! :eek:

if your feeling adventurous craig anderton had a DIY 3 band that's real easy to do... it would make a great first project...

Have you looked into the Speck Electronics EQ's? They are only half rack space, but I bet they make an adapter:)

Speck has a European power supply for those eq's I believe.

There were a lot of those Aphex 109's made, so that might be an easier one to find in a 220 version.

Some of the Klark Teknik eq's go for reasonable prices on eBay, and they are a European company so availability should not be a problem. The single channel version of the DN410 would probably be great for guitar. Very clean eq, but with a nice sound.

if your feeling adventurous craig anderton had a DIY 3 band that's real easy to do... it would make a great first project...

A little over 20 years ago, I built up a bunch of Anderton projects from his book using the handy kits from PAiA Electronics, including two of the semi-parametric EQs which he calls the Super Tone Control. They are relatively cheap, easy to build up, versatile and sound good. I actually built them up into one box to use as a modular, stereo preamp for the Stick, but I have used the compressor/limiters on guitar and bass, too, and the Super Tone Controls on guitars, bass and synths. I've even used them when mixing. I find that they are very fun to use with musical instruments of all kinds. You can do more extreme things with them than standard amp tone controls. With a +/-18V power supply it has tons of headroom.

However, the Super Tone Control is not a standard 3-band parametric design. There is one frequency control and it shifts the cutoff frequency for the state-variable filter that has low pass, high pass and bandpass outputs routed, via individual level controls, to a summing mixer. It also has a resonance control and a switch for a higher resonance range. Like a standard parametric, it is very powerful and takes a while to really learn to use properly. You can can make both pretty and ugly sounds with it.

Cheers,

Otto

Back