Spending money...

easydiamond

Right now I record with Cubase LE, Lexicon Omega, and the MXl 990/991(I dunno exactly what they're called) mic combo.

Let's just say it's very basic and I'm hating the sound I'm getting out of it.

I play in a group that's mainly acoustic, but we have piano and hi-hat/snare situations sometimes.

I'd like a few recommendations.

Mics: under $150
Pre-amps: under $150
Any kind of advice on signal processors? Would a plug-in compressor be fine or is it better to have an actual unit? Basically, plug-ins vs. units?

Or anything other things to help that are under $200. Paying bills and I'd rather not spend too much.

There are plenty of good plugs that are free, in fact there was just a thread about them yesterday somewhere here. The software isn't holding you back, there is little to no difference between the audio engines that drive the different programs.

First, I would look at your recording environment, meaning your instruments and your room. Do the instruments really sound good in your space? Be honest with yourself. If not, everything from that point will be a band-aid.

mshilarious said:
There are plenty of good plugs that are free, in fact there was just a thread about them yesterday somewhere here. The software isn't holding you back, there is little to no difference between the audio engines that drive the different programs.

First, I would look at your recording environment, meaning your instruments and your room. Do the instruments really sound good in your space? Be honest with yourself. If not, everything from that point will be a band-aid.
+1

+ at least 10 characters

Back