Special cables

kubeek

Does anywhere exist some shop with unusual cables, like Y cable, TRS->RS and stuff like that?
Or do you just make them by yourself when needed?

You can do one of a few things. The first, of course, is go to Radio Shack and buy all sorts of converters to get from connector A to connector Z, be it through A+B+R+Z, etc.

Or, you can make custom cable yourself. A subset of this option would be having someone else make the custom cables, such as www.redco.com. They do great work with excellent parts for good prices, but I don't know how weird you can go in terms of what you want on each end of a cable.

To be honest, once you get to the point where you are using mics, mic pres and some sort of recording interface, you shouldn't need anything terribly out of the ordinary. I found that once I got to that stage, the big box of weird adapters and cables I'd amassed over the years became essentially useless.

At this point I really only use the following types of cables:

- 1/4" Male TRS (both ends) for connecting mic preamps to recording interfaces
- XLR male -> XLR female for microphones going into mic preamps
- 1/4" Male unbalanced instrument cable
- 1/8" stereo mini -> 2x male RCA to convert the signal from my digital piano to a standard input type
- firewire cable for interfaces to computers

Is there anything in particular that you are trying to accomplish? I have done just about everything, so feel free to ask!

Cables and Ends

I make all my own audio cables

I make them as short as 1 foot to 25 feet

RCA - XLRm
RCA - XLRf
XLRm - XLRf
XLRm - TRS
XLRf - TRS

TRS - TRS

TS to TRS
TS to XLRm
TS to XLRf
TS to RCAm

y cables / inserts in various configurations

Speakon cables as well

Just get good at soldering and make your own

Last edited:
i make my own.. but sometimes i wonder why... you can get them from redco.com for not much more than you can make them... in custom lengths and choice of wire and connectors....

i make my own.. but sometimes i wonder why... you can get them from redco.com for not much more than you can make them... in custom lengths and choice of wire and connectors....

You make them because you know that you hand made them yourself and they can be trusted. You also get to pick the solder you want on them.

Does anybody know how to make a cable using 8 TRS and a 25 Pin Male DSUB Connector, with Metal Hood?

Does anybody know how to make a cable using 8 TRS and a 25 Pin Male DSUB Connector, with Metal Hood?

Tascam style? Their pinout is on the website, google tascam db25 pinout, it's the first thing that comes up. If it's for something else, check the company's support section, but the Tascam pinout has become pretty standard for this kind of cable.

Back