SPDIF to USB converter / Sound card

johnnypro

Hi, Newbie here, but recording over 30 years.
I have a Roland VS-2480 stand-alone 24 track that has a SPDIF output that I have been using to mix into my PC. My original setup was an XP pro PC with a Turtle Beach Catalina PCI sound card with SPDIF ins and outs.

My PC's hard drive died, so I bought a newer PC on eBay (Win7-64) with the idea of using a USB external sound card with SPDIF inputs. I bought a Sewell Direct sound box with SPDIF in and out after talking to their Tech Support and it didn't work. Well actually it works, but there is a delay between the SPDIF in and the line out. So I bought a StarTech sound box after talking to their Tech Support and that doesn't work either (Same delay). They say it has pass thru SPDIF ins and it shouldn't be inputting to the PC at all. Both cards run CM6206 chipsets (I found out later)

The PC I bought is a desktop style and will not take a full sized sound card.

Can anyone suggest a USB converter or sound card / box that will input the SPDIF signal and not cause a delay?? How about a PCI sound card with SPDIF input that will fit a desktop PC???

Thank You very much for your time and Knowledge!!!! JP

I, too, own a VS-2480

I use a MOTU 896mk3 with my VS-2480, and it has TosLink as well as S/PDif... This will give you two stereo inputs from your VS-2480 back into your PC and a whole lot more. Cost is just under a $1000, and if that's not a problem your pretty well set to do what you need to do and more.

Edit: It hooks into your USB2.0 port on the PC and is accessible via any DAW software you might have available via ASIO. Keep the buffer down and there shouldn't be much delay. People have reported around 7 ms round-trip. It works with both PC and Mac and also has a built in mixer (CUEMix).

Optical S/PDIF inputs are rare on interfaces but you can buy an optical to co ax converter for around $20.
These are just a very fast switching chip so cannot cause any signal degradation nor, I would think, any delay.
Next you need an AI with S/PDIF input and the Alesis i02 should serve very well for little money.

As for a soundcard? If it is card height that is the problem I have seen a PCI right angled adaptor. I even have an M-Audio 2496 going free to anyone in UK.

Computer Maiboard Rightward Right Angle 1U 32Bit PCI Slot Riser Adapter Card | eBay

Dave.

Optical S/PDIF inputs are rare on interfaces but you can buy an optical to co ax converter for around $20.
These are just a very fast switching chip so cannot cause any signal degradation nor, I would think, any delay.
Next you need an AI with S/PDIF input and the Alesis i02 should serve very well for little money.

Dave.
In my morning browsing came across this..... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...f_830_optical_to_coaxial_audio_converter.html
No idea if it would do the job, but for $9 plus a small amount in shipping maybe worth a try.

In my morning browsing came across this..... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...f_830_optical_to_coaxial_audio_converter.html
No idea if it would do the job, but for $9 plus a small amount in shipping maybe worth a try.

Ooooo! We DO get shafted over here (and it will get worse post Brexit) I have that exact device* and it cost me £15.00 3 or 4 years ago. Fkks how much now.

*Actually I had two for duplex conversion. I was getting MiniDisc in and out of a 2496 card. They are one of those rare things that just bloody work! No fuss, no drama, just work.

Dave.

Back