Sources for tube-type electronic parts

guitarlover

Hi all,

I was surfing Ebay while on vacation and found (and bought) a book published in 1955 on tube-type equipment. This is basically a book of schematics and directions starting with the basic and getting more advanced as the book progresses. It includes amps, pre-amps, radios and stereo equipment.

My question is that of sources for the parts. I have never built any tube equipment and I woundered if anyone out there was familiar with sites for surplus (or new) parts for this type of project.

I will probabaly start with a pre-amp as this seems a good compromise of ease of construction and utility.

Thanks in advance, Steve Brown :)

PS Yes, I didn't miss the fact that the book was published the same year as the transistor was invented. I bet the author had a coronary!

The place Kevin linked to is great. They have good stuff and good prices.
Building tube gear is great. Lots of fun.

BTW the transistor was invented in 1947 by Bardeen and Brattain at Bell Labs.
Shockley redesigned it, Bell announced it 1948.

Shockley split from Bell after a weak public response to the invention. He (correctly) foresaw that the transistor would change the world. Formed his own company. He was an ass, and his best 8 guys left and formed two companies you may have heard of- Fairchild in '57 and Intel in '68. The beginning of silicon valley. Intel and TI co-developed the integrated chip, which is pretty much what the world runs on today.

The first commercial success for the transistor did actually come in 1955, a transistor radio marketed by a tiny Japanese company called Sony, who purchased a license to produce transistors in Japan from Bell.

boingoman said:
The place Kevin linked to is great. They have good stuff and good prices.
Building tube gear is great. Lots of fun.

BTW the transistor was invented in 1947 by Bardeen and Brattain at Bell Labs.
Shockley redesigned it, Bell announced it 1948.

Shockley split from Bell after a weak public response to the invention. He (correctly) foresaw that the transistor would change the world. Formed his own company. He was an ass, and his best 8 guys left and formed two companies you may have heard of- Fairchild in '57 and Intel in '68. The beginning of silicon valley. Intel and TI co-developed the integrated chip, which is pretty much what the world runs on today.

The first commercial success for the transistor did actually come in 1955, a transistor radio marketed by a tiny Japanese company called Sony, who purchased a license to produce transistors in Japan from Bell.

I discovered my error this morning before I logged on. I'm not sure where I picked up that info incorrectly but you are right. I had always associated the invention of the transistor with the year of my birth but I guess I can't do that any more.

Thanks, both of you for the website. I did a Google search but sometimes you never know what your getting and, as I found out recently, Google can be rather caprecious in their awarding of high ranking on the free side.

Regards, Steve (the old man) Brown

Back