soundcraft vs. Allen & Heath

For the money?

• Allen & Heath

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Soundcraft

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters
Be ware before and if you buy it... There are not many similarities between what people now consider to be a Midas, and what that DDA is. I know there are some personnel similarities between DDA and Midas if you look back aways, but what people consider to be the real Midas (Heritage series and XL 4) really bear no resemblance to anything from the DDA line. In fact, the only Midas console from after the XL3 that really "failed" was the DDA contracted XL200. People were actually sup upset about the quality and the sound that Midas stopped making it.

Well I'm primarily purchasing it for personal reasons and the fact that I'm getting it dirt cheap(around $500) from a former employer. The thing is about 12 years old and I understand its not a Midas but I do love that board but mainly because it was the board that I learned on.

xstatic said:
Be ware before and if you buy it... There are not many similarities between what people now consider to be a Midas, and what that DDA is. I know there are some personnel similarities between DDA and Midas if you look back aways, but what people consider to be the real Midas (Heritage series and XL 4) really bear no resemblance to anything from the DDA line. In fact, the only Midas console from after the XL3 that really "failed" was the DDA contracted XL200. People were actually sup upset about the quality and the sound that Midas stopped making it.

Hey man, This may be a bit of a hijack, but you have alot of knowledge about the midas stuff, the studio I track at uses an Amek Einstein Super E 80 (I think that is the model anyway). Does this board have some relation to the Midas. Do you have a personal opinion on this counsol? I'm pretty new to this and haven't worked with alot of gear, but I like this board, it sure kicks the crap out of my Mixizard ;)

I trust your opinion and I was Just wondering your thoughts.

As far as I am aware, the AMEK stuff bears no real relation to the Midas stuff. Generally, the Einsteins and Bigs have been considered the cheap bastard step children to the Amek line. However, the nicer AMEK stuff costs considerably more and is generally considerably larger as well. In the scheme of things recording though, all the AMEK stuff sounds pretty good. It still tears up your Allen Heath and Soundcraft stuff (with the exception of maybe a few specific models and taking into consideration that these are all just opinions, even if they are very widely shared opinions). Also, people tend to place a lot of weight on the fact that Rupert Neve was involved with AMEK and with TAC for a period of time. It is impoortant to remember that his designs for those companies is DRASTICALLY different than those Neve designs that have earned him such an incredible reputation. Also, his work was limited with those companies, so in no way shape or form are you getting a Neve console when you buy a TAC or an AMEK console. In fact, the differences are far greater than the similarities. basically, just don't think of them as a Neve, think of them as a TAC or AMEK. If you like that sound (plenty of people do) than you will like them.

Back to the Einstein in specific... If you compare the Super E sonically to an Angela, G2500, 9098, or even a Mozart or a Rembrandt, you will be unpleasently surprised. If you compare it to an Allen Heath GS, GL or even a Sabre, or a Soundcraft Spirit or Ghost, than you will most likely be very pleasently suprised. On thing the Super E and Big does do well is pack a decent sound, fairly low maintenance console, with tons of features into a pretty small package with a reasonable price tag and good expansion options ( Amek Supertrue recall and dynamics packages).

Allen & Heath. OK, i live 1/2 an hour from the HQ in Penryn, but i prefer the A&H. I dont like the faders much, but when the rest of the desk is as good as it is i dont mind. A&H is better built, and sounds way better. Also A&H really care about what they make. Soundcraft really tend just to knock their mixers out.

ive got an A&H GL3 24 that i absolutely adore...

everything i've tested from soundcraft, not ghosts but small mixers, haven't made me think they were of any decent quality

I have the Soundcraft M8 and am well pleased with it! If I were to upgrade I'd probably look at the MIDAS Venice. The Soundcraft M series desks are great value for money IMO. If I had the money for the Allen and Heath I'd probably buy the Soundcraft M8 and get a DAV BG1!

Back