Soundcraft Spirit M12 Pres vs. DMP-3 or other budget clean Pres

Chris F

I've spent a good part of the afternoon reading older threads about various subjects, and had a question about mic pres. I'm recording all acoustic instruments (double bass, archtop, grand piano, and drums) into a G4 through a MOTU 1224. I like the results I've had with MXL 603s in stereo pairs for all of these instruments, and am wondering if there is a *relatively* inexpensive way to upgrade my signal chain with some new preamps. I know that I could spend a fortune on pres, but I'm guessing that most standalone pres should be a step up from my M12 pres, since there are 12 of those on a board that only cost about $600. Has anyone had a chance to A/B the DMP-3 pres against the pre on any Soundcraft "M" series boards, and if so, what were the results? I'm not looking for heavy coloration, just a good clean sound with more clarity and headroom. Thanks in advance.

They are about the same but I would give a slight edge to the DMP3 for high end clarity. There is however a little smoother, meaning able to handle sudden short transients, response from the Soundcraft.

Overall not a dramatic difference in the final result though. Are you looking for increased clarity or warmth? If clarity, try the Grace 101, for slight warmth the RNP. These would both be a step up.

I've read that the Sytek 4-channel pre is really clear (which is why its often recommended for use with ribbon mics) but that be a little more than you're looking to spend at around $860 for four channels. Warren (Warhead on this board) sells them from his site at www.frontendaudio.com or you could look on eBay for one being sold by Mike Stoica, who owns Sytek.

Back