Some sort of effect, could you tell me?

iancl

Not sure where to post this, but it's to do with effects, so I put it here.

Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGFXKYvH39I

Whether or not you like the music I'm not interested in, nor his voice. When I first heard it, I was kinda startled by the vocals. Could you tell me what they may have done effects-wise there? Obviously there's reverb after, but it sounds really enhanced/slightly harsh/with extra detail. I can't really describe the sound, but hopefully you know what I mean - sorry for the horrible description.

Anyway, is this the sort of thing you'd get from behringer's "ultramizer"? (although i know some people swear by them, and other think they're terrible).

Otherwise, could it just be slightly distorted, like you might get with a guitar preamp or something?

I would guess that it's heavily compressed, with some distortion and, most likely, a bandpass filter. There's some autotune in there too, but it's not the main effect.

Last edited:
iancl said:
Not sure where to post this, but it's to do with effects, so I put it here.

Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGFXKYvH39I

Whether or not you like the music I'm not interested in, nor his voice. When I first heard it, I was kinda startled by the vocals. Could you tell me what they may have done effects-wise there? Obviously there's reverb after, but it sounds really enhanced/slightly harsh/with extra detail. I can't really describe the sound, but hopefully you know what I mean - sorry for the horrible description.

Anyway, is this the sort of thing you'd get from behringer's "ultramizer"? (although i know some people swear by them, and other think they're terrible).

Otherwise, could it just be slightly distorted, like you might get with a guitar preamp or something?
This is not an easy question to answer. It is like asking you to taste some food and then tell us the recipe without knowing anything about the chef.

It sounds to me like (very simply) the low frequency has been pulled out. That gives it that thin "old time telephone" or "AM radio" sound. Here and there, it seems like I catch a bit of phase shifting going on, but that may be the file compression causing artifacts. They may have put a touch of tube distortion on there to give it some growl. Again, it's hard to tell with Internet junk.

With the lows missing, you can make the vocal level a little stronger which tends to bring out those highs (air) and makes them more noticeable. Then toss in whatever reverb or delay you want and you should be close.

That's my best guess.
RawDepth

Back