A small LIVE mixer with built-in COMPRESSOR and FX?

Gear_Junky

So, I have the little Behringer 1202FX mixer, I like it for what I do (hobby live acoustic guitar jams, karaoke, etc.) but now realized I need a compressor. I like the Behringer MINICOM COM800.

Is there a fairly small/inexpensive mixer which would have a built-in compressor, which you could use along with the built-in FX (concurrently with reverb, etc.)

I'm trying to see if I can be roughly within the price of Xenyx 1202FX + MINICOM COM800 (and cables) = Price of MIXER WITH COMP/FX (I can sell my new Xenyx easily, got it at discount).

My reason for this is because I hate extra wiring for the non-professional application I use it for! If the $ dif is within reason, I'd rather not run extra cables. I don't need much versatility in the compressor, just basics for a tight mix, eliminating guitar and vocal transients.

Or maybe I just need a limiter to be in the mixer? I run the mixer into a home HiFi stereo, so need compression/limiting for vocals/guitar, etc.

Again, I am NOT recording and so quality is NOT that big a deal, just a useable decent sound.

Thanks!

Well I just checked their site... they have lots of effects, but no compressor that I can see. Sorry!

Thanks for looking, Fab!

I am surprized, frankly. It's a great idea to have built-in FX for live use, Mackie and Yamaha obviously realized that. But compressors are equally if not more important. Even just having a built-in general comp only applicable to the whole mix would be better than nothing.

I used to have a powered Yamaha mixer, very nice and it had an automatic limiter, but nothing you could "set" or control to tighten things up.

Is the compression circuitry that expensive?

Surely, I expected Behringer woulda thunk of that! :D

Is the compression circuitry that expensive?

Surely, I expected Behringer woulda thunk of that! :D

If you're doing digital effects, then no, it's just another bit of code to stuff in the firmware of the DSP chip. Yamaha digital boards have compression on each channel, A&H onboard effects can be set to compression modes, but those aren't that cheap.

But if you're talking analog compression, then yes, VCAs are more expensive than the opamps driving the mic pres, EQ, and summing busses. It's not huge, but when you're talking in the budget range, those pennies add up fast.

Your best bet is probably outboard. I picked up a dbx minicomp used for like $40.

Yeah, looks like I'll have to go with outboard. That's ok, at least I won't have to sell my mixer :)

Do you think a guitar/bass stomp box compressor would do a similar job on the overall mix? Something like the Boss Comrpessor pedal or similar. I don't have a preference, but who knows what I'll find used.

Yeah, looks like I'll have to go with outboard. That's ok, at least I won't have to sell my mixer :)

Do you think a guitar/bass stomp box compressor would do a similar job on the overall mix? Something like the Boss Comrpessor pedal or similar. I don't have a preference, but who knows what I'll find used.

Guitar pedals usually aren't stereo. Whether or not that is an important feature to you, I don't know. The Minicomp is stereo linked, the rackmount dbx stuff can usually be linked or unlinked.

Guitar pedals usually aren't stereo. Whether or not that is an important feature to you, I don't know. The Minicomp is stereo linked, the rackmount dbx stuff can usually be linked or unlinked.

Sure, I realize that. I'll have to see what my options are. I usually don't have time to go around looking for used stuff, so this might be the "go to" time for Behringer MINICOM COM800 for me :D

yamaha makes a new mixer with compression on the channels...i believe its a new Mg series..

You can find that type of thing in most new digital mixers. My old Roland VM mixer had assignable effects for different channels or the master buss.

Back