SM Pro Audio M Patch 2 or Samson C Control?

I bought the SM Pro Audio MPatch2 back in January. As soon as I plugged it in I was amazed how much it degraded the clarity of my mix and smeared the stereo field. I was very disappointed.

Never got a chance to return it before the 30-day return policy ran out. So I'm stuck with it - brand new, still in the box. Waste of money. I was hoping maybe one day I could send it out to be modded. Oh well. Live and learn.

Normally I try not to say anything bad about products like this, but I'd rather speak up so others can benefit from my trials and errors. I'd say pass on the Mpatch2.

Just read this on another forum. :confused:

where02190 said:
We tested the Presonus Central Station, Mackie Big Knob and Samson C-Control, and of the 3 the C-Control actually had the least coloration. All 3 were extremely quiet, no audible noise whatsoever. In blind testing here in an uncontrolled environment (cuz we're all so out of control....LOL!!!) we all picked the C-Control as the best sounding, but honestly I think they all sounded the same. We ran some electronic testing, and none had outputs that were audibly different from inputs. Doing phase inversion testing, the results of all were silence.

www.npstudios.com

Hmm? Might the Samson C Control offer all the features I need in one box without having to buy an external mixer? If the C-Control adds no noise then would it be better than my Soundcraft M8? The talkback on the Samson C Control is another handy feature that I'd find useful.

Am I splitting hairs here in terms of audio quality between the M Patch 2 and C Control or is the M Patch noticiebly quiter and uncoloured than the C Control? (sorry if I'm dragging this thread out but I'm unable to audition these units myself due to location and have to rely on other peoples experience)

Thanks

not to be negative about that other forum's comments, as I have no idea who it is, if it's truthful, accurate, etc, but I just find it really highly unlikely that those results are true. There's a very high likelyhood that a passive control will affect the tone less than an active control, if properly designed. The central station is highly regarded, and is the only passive system that includes an active talkback system and extra inputs/outputs etc.

The only less expensive systems that have similar options are the behringer mon800 and the c-control, both of which are active using opamps etc. Nothing wrong with them, they do work (I even own the little berry unit, although I don't use it, was just a quick and dirty purchase one day when desperate for a mobile monitor/talkback box).

So I'd go presonus.

Thanks for the reply dkelly. I would love a Central Station but it's way outside my budget in the UK. I'd like to spend under £90 $180. Would the Samson C Control, Behringer Minimon Mon800 and M PAtch 2 be quieter and cleaner than my Soundcraft M8 for monitoring?

Back