Shure SM 57 or APEX 430

Small budget-wise sm57 definately,... I've worked with engineers that have actually went into the studio and yanked expensive instrument mics in favor of the ALWAYS reliable clean sound of an sm57. Of course, you can always upgrade, so the 57 is a GREAT choice... and, you need to have on or two layin' around anyway !!! Hope I helped.

posted on one board is enough there revamp

anywho, i'd get an sm57, they really are great workhorse mics. Always good to have one or two on hand.

These two mics are completely different animals altogether. The Apex is a large diaphram condensor, overly bright (in my not so humble opinion) cardiod mic. The 57 on the other hand is a dynamic work horse. What kind of instruments? Pipe organs? Kazoos?

In that case, the 57 will out perform the 430. I like condensors on guitar amps but the 430 doesn't do well there.

I've never heard a B1 so I can't say. As far as placement goes, experiment until you like what you hear. With a 57, conventional wisdom is to put it tight on the amp. If it's aimed at the center of the cone, it'll be more strident, towards the speaker surround, the sound will be more rounded. PLay with it till you like it.

Back