Should I dump these pieces of rack gear?

Xcaliber

Not long ago I acquired a rack full of gear from a friend of a co-worker who was moving. I paid $250 for all of it and there's a couple of useful things in the bundle, but a couple seem to be a waste of space/money.

#1 is a dbx 266XL compressor. I finally got it wired up to work with my interface and Studio One and it seems like it's not a very good compressor. I've also heard/read from a few others groups that it's not a great piece of gear in general. I'm thinking of trying to sell it. Thoughts?

#2 is an Alesis Quadraverb effects unit. I thought i might be able to run it through the FX Loop on my amp and use it in my guitar rig, but everytime I try to use it I get terrible feedback and the reverb/delay/etc. goes "out of control" and I have to turn it off. It's not the "GT" model made for guitar so I'm wondering if it just won't work. I'm also wondering what I would use it for if not adding it to my guitar rig?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate an help/advice you can give me on these either/both of these pieces.

I'd hang on to them both. At least make sure some feedback setting in the Quadraverb isn't causing your problem. Don't know if it's worth fixing.

I think that there is not a point of keep things that became useless. Free room is too much more valuable than an object that you can't see yourself using it again or that just upsets you every time you try to. I have this simple thumb of rule for everything in my life that at certain point becomes useless for me:

1) If it is in good conditions and still have market value - SELL it.
2) If it is in good conditions but have no market value - GIVE it away.
3) If it is not in good conditions - DUMP it.

I think that there is not a point of keep things that became useless. Free room is too much more valuable than an object that you can't see yourself using it again or that just upsets you every time you try to. I have this simple thumb of rule for everything in my life that at certain point becomes useless for me:

1) If it is in good conditions and still have market value - SELL it.
2) If it is in good conditions but have no market value - GIVE it away.
3) If it is not in good conditions - DUMP it.

#3 is very important. Don't make something someone else's problem, at least not w/o full and complete disclosure.

Back