Setting up budget home studio-Advice

Sounds fun, is their a step by step DIY guide for that anywhere? and this thing to make myself, is that instead of the warddrobe or the wrap round the mic thing, or both?
I'll leave your wardrobe decisions up to you... but no, the "wrap around thingy".

Try these
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Executive-Sample-Pack--samplepack.html

Build a V or a U to surround the back of the mic... point the mic into the closet, stand between your polo crew shirts and the mic, and there you go.

I beg to differ... the clothes just dampen reflections off the back wall the the filter can't address, but really doesn't provide a complete solution... it's better than nothing but falls way short of the filter...

You can build a filter for fairly cheap, it's not pretty, but you're not recording video...

MOFO,

I guess it depends on the type of clothes closet that you have. Mine is a small walk in, mostly square in shape with clothes racks on two sides. The third wall and the door have layers of clothes on hangers, hanging on hooks. Very dead and works great for me. And didn't cost a dime.

Just my 2 cents.

Joel

nice one. thanks for clearing that up.

i was told it would benefit us having a mixer as it would solve alot of monitoring tasks [headphones in the booth and playback etc], provide the phantom power for the mic, and provide the free interface and preamps...

also figured it might help us to learn abit about mixing down the tunes too..

Is post compression on cubase as easy as just using settings on the compressor?

The compression on Cubase is very easy to use, I find, and sounds very good. It's good to read up on compression and get a feel for what's going on. You should understand what the threshold and ratio knobs mean!

I've been through the headphones and isolation booth concepts but truthfully that is to me now very old. In a interview, Les Paul said that if he made a studio now he would make it just like a living room, with couches and lamps and coffee tables. It would look nothing like a recording studio, and I think he was right on the money.

I rarely use headphones anymore - I monitor through old AR-7 speakers at a soft volume. Headphones - I don't like them, and don't like how everybody spends most of their life playing without them and when it's time to record put them on and change everything. If you try recording without them you'll be surprised how little bleed through there is and that the bleed through isn't a bad thing at all. I just find people play better without them, so I rarely use them.

The mixers on Cubase are fantastic too. The Lexicon Omega comes with Cubase LE and has the Lexicon reverb which sounds better than my SPX1000 that cost $1800, so that may be worth a look too.

MOFO,

I guess it depends on the type of clothes closet that you have. Mine is a small walk in, mostly square in shape with clothes racks on two sides. The third wall and the door have layers of clothes on hangers, hanging on hooks. Very dead and works great for me. And didn't cost a dime.

Just my 2 cents.

Joel
And a fine two cents they are... you didn't say it was a walk-in bedroom vocal booth... that would probably equal or exceed the performance of the filter in front of the closet.

I'd even suggest pulling the hangers off of the back wall, to liven it up a bit... give it a shot... totally dead is easier to work with, but not necessarily ideal. The best solutions control reflections, not kill them

MOFO,

Just my 2 cents.

Joel

So all I need is a walk in wardrobe..hmm..what about a normal wardrobe with clothes in, doors open with sleeping bags hangin down over the doors? sounds crude i know but might it be suffice?

I've been through the headphones and isolation booth concepts but truthfully that is to me now very old. In a interview, Les Paul said that if he made a studio now he would make it just like a living room, with couches and lamps and coffee tables. It would look nothing like a recording studio, and I think he was right on the money...

The mixers on Cubase are fantastic too. The Lexicon Omega comes with Cubase LE and has the Lexicon reverb which sounds better than my SPX1000 that cost $1800, so that may be worth a look too.

believe, im all for having couches in there! im gonna look at the Lexicon omega then, thanks for that.

In a interview, Les Paul said that if he made a studio now he would make it just like a living room, with couches and lamps and coffee tables. It would look nothing like a recording studio, and I think he was right on the money.
We spend thousands of dollars trying to make our recording spaces sound exactly like our living rooms...

We might be better suited just hanging thick curtains on the windows, and visiting the landfill for random pieces of junk to throw around the space...

Some spaces just sound awesome by accident...

We spend thousands of dollars trying to make our recording spaces sound exactly like our living rooms...

We might be better suited just hanging thick curtains on the windows, and visiting the landfill for random pieces of junk to throw around the space...

Some spaces just sound awesome by accident...

Hmm, im getting some good ideas now, thanks for that..think im gonna go raid the inlaws for their excessive amount of spare curtains and blankets!

Hmm, im getting some good ideas now, thanks for that..think im gonna go raid the inlaws for their excessive amount of spare curtains and blankets!
Sheets and curtains only dampen the high frequencies, big sofas and beds tend to trap the lows, and random large flat surfaces tend to scatter reflections (mid, high)... Think about that before you leave your inlaws shivering on the next cool night

I'd even suggest pulling the hangers off of the back wall, to liven it up a bit... give it a shot... totally dead is easier to work with, but not necessarily ideal. The best solutions control reflections, not kill them

True that. And I've done so, when the situation warranted. For the project I'm working on now(long distance collaboration), I need to eliminate all reflections. It's what the producer/mixer asked for. So far he's happy and that's what counts in this instance.

Gorilla recording, gotta love it!

Joel

So all I need is a walk in wardrobe..hmm..what about a normal wardrobe with clothes in, doors open with sleeping bags hangin down over the doors? sounds crude i know but might it be suffice?

Only one way to find out.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

Joel

Hi guys..

So, got my room almost cleared out, got my SE 2200a mic, Behringer Xenyx 1204 Mixer, Behringer Auto com mdx 1400 compressor, two memory foam matresses and a crap wardrobe I no longer use fro its original purpose..

in the corner of the room i pulled the wardrobe out about 4 feet, and wrapped the mem foam around the insidewalls. i hung a quilt down the side of the wardrobe with a bit of a flap which can be attached to the wall making a kind of door.

It took us an hour to quickly set all this up, and we played on it for an hour, thats all the time we had, and I must say, although theres a bit of noise (we didnt have long wires so the mic was set up about 6 feet from the table), it didnt sound bad!

Off to get some longer wires tomorrow, and gonna re-jig the room abit to see what we can do better.

One thing - we got mic into mixer, mixer into uca 200 interface, and that into the laptop......where does the compressor go, and what wires are needed?

Back