Setting my monitors...

Hi guys... Just bought my first monitors: a pair of Tascam VLA5s...
I´m super happy about it.

I have a couple of questions to you guys...

I´m using them along with my FP10 (which has a output level knob), and I don´t know how much should I push the monitors with the Pod (and where to position the Level Control on the monitors)... Any clue?

Also the monitors have some LF and HF correction...
(it can be seen here)

http://www.ewsound.ee/shop/ewpood/images/VL-A5_tascam.jpg

Should I turn them all off and just learn the monitors that way?

Thanks a ton..!

Should I turn them all off and just learn the monitors that way?
Without analyzing the room (Which is the right answer) I'd suggest leaving them all off, make a couple of mixes, bring them out to the car, or play them from some other source, and see how they sound... wherever the mix is lacking on the playback you want to bump these frequencies...if it's over saturated on some, cut back... nothing says more about a mix then a car stereo... I spent many an overnight finalizing a mix in a rented commercial studio back in the 70's to have a cassette deck on the drive home tell me I just wasted a whole ton of time and money...

Thank you guys...

Great and quick answers! :)

BTW, John (or anyone else), do you know where can I get a recording of full-range stereo pink noise at -20dBFS? (I´m using Cubase LE and I don´t think I can make it with it)

My bad, sorry...

I have a question though... - 85dBSPL at the mix position with a -20dB(FS)RMS signal is what we want, right?
But, how I know if that´s possible my current setup? Or just any prosumer monitor can handle that?

And another one... Is there any difference if I put my "home point" at 12 o´clock or say at 3 o´clock on my FP? (I mean, I could still get -85db depending on how loud I set the volume knob on the speaker)
-I read somewhere that monitors tend to be "flatter" when you have the volume knob all the way up-

I'm sure they can handle it... 85dBSPL isn't too much to ask.

You can make your "home" position anywhere, but you need to allow for the ability to actually crank it up when you need it.

If the controller itself is of reasonable quality, there shouldn't be much of an issue with the swing. Some cheap pots don't 'line up' at lower volumes, but they should be reasonable once you're away from the bottom. That, and many controllers are active anyway - and might be providing boost past a certain point.

Back