SCA Preamps Up and Running...And I'm Happy

MadMax

A while ago, I posted about upgrading my Symetrix 528's to make them into "World Class" channel strips. By the time the thread had run it's course, I decided to leave the already good sounding 528's alone and add some more flavors by building some SCA A12's and N72's.
They're complete and I finished my listening test last night. I must say, I'm pretty happy with the palette of sounds I now have to work with. The 528's sound clean and neutral. The A12's have an "old Skool" sound to them. All I can say at this point is that they sound good but midrangey in comparison. The N72's seem to be somewhere in between the 2.
This weekend, I'm going to be recording a classic rock band that kind of sounds like a heavier Black Crowes. Can't wait to record the drums, baby...

Cool! I can't make up my mind whether to do a pair of N72s or J99s. Maybe I should do one of each and then decide which to match with a 2nd channel (probly the J99). Did you use their pwr supply and case or something else?

I used their Case & PSU. I've built some before and it's just so much easier than outsourcing all of the components and making that jumper cable is such a PITA. SCA now has one that's prefab'd and tested for $35.00. That's a deal.

just curious, but how long did it take to get the whole thing built and tested?

i've been wanting to build 2 each of the A12's and N72's myself...one of these days...

It doesn't go as quickly as they say on their website, but I guess it takes 2-3 hours to build each one. The hardest part is identifying the resistors. The values are screened on the PCB's, but you still have to look at every resistor closely (in my case, I need a light and a magnifying glass, but I'm old :mad: ). On the N72's you have to wire one of the transformers and then lace the wires into the PCB. It's not difficult, but it's a little tedious.
Then you have to do some testing. If you build them carefully, this should go without a hitch. But if you F up, this is where you'll see smoke. My testing went without a hitch. You have to adjust some trim pots for voltages and you're good to go.
I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner, but my background is in electronics and they're pretty easy for me.

well...a beginner i definitely am when it comes to electronics

BUT - i have to take some electronics courses in the next couple semesters, and was thinking that a rack of SCA pres would be a good project/upgrade after i'm done

Back