Say it with me...Parametric Equalizer.

Blue Groove

This is mostly for new guys, but some of the other members could use a refresher. Learn to use one, I don't think enough people learn how outside of noodling with one live or in a session. A console is like a musical instrument, the eq is your friend.

Would you tell a trombonist to play louder if the Trumpets were too loud? No, you'd tell the trumpets to cool it down. The same goes with eq, sometimes the lows don't need a boost, scoop the highmids a little and you're there. It's all about practice.

The next time you have an hour or two, take some time, mess with it. Set up a snare drum with your favorite mic (sm57, i5, whatever you like) and have someone play it, then adjust everything, mess around, find sweet spots, bad spots, and the most important thing...LOG IT. Write it down, remember the settings, then do it with a different snare. About 20-30 minutes per instrument. Then try it with other instruments, vocals, MICS etc... It will be worth your time.

Try 3 band, 4 band, 7 band, etc. Use cheap, expensive, old, new, whatever you can get your hands on. Use yours, if you don't have one, get a few. If you can't afford a nice one, find a studio that will let you use their equipment, for a little cash, during down time. The $25-$100 of cash will be worth it.

The reason I am talking about this, is because musicians practice hours, days, weeks, a month. Some practice as much as twelve hours a day. We should be able to capture that time spent, not spend alot on eqing that ugly ring out of the snare (without putting a pound of moon gel/tape on it)

This is one industry that combines art and science to make...art. We should give the artists time to do their thing, without worring about the clock and money. If we can do this, then a better performance will happen, and the band will use you over and over for more great art (not recordings)to happen. Your work should be transparent.

Practice makes perfect...take the time.

Good Luck Guys and Gals.

Last edited:
it's all about filters...

ah... parametrics... one of my fav tools... and while waxing poetic... and suggesting we simply play without fear of hairy palms he doesnt tell us how to keep from rubbing it raw... or even what we're playing with...

it's all about filters... and parameters... most are familiar with parameters... sure all kinds a gear have them ya move this and the numbers go up or down... but what's going up or down.... filters have three parameters... the frequency... the "Q" (not quincy)... and the amount of boost or cut....

the difference in EQ's is to what degree they give us access to those three...
everybodies familiar with a graphic right.... that's an example of haveing one parameter to play with.... the boost.... the freqs are fixed(written above right?) and the # of bands shows us the "Q" more bands tighter"Q"(or narrower if you like)... on some consoles you'll see whats called a semi-parametric.. it gives you the abilty to "sweep" the mids for instance... that sweeping is the second parameter... the freq..... the Q is still fixed... and lastly the fully parametric gives us access to all three.... but what good is it???

one of my favorite tricks is called subtractive EQ.... it seems to me (and lotsa others) that if you cant hear something alotta the time it's a matter of something else being in the way instead of just cranking it up... make sense??? so try this... first make an educated guess at what's in the way and solo it... now set the q real sharp or narrow and boost it a bit.... now take the freq and "sweep it" sounds kinda like a wah-wah right... well what your looking for is where it sounds ugliest.... ya i know it's kinda counterintuitive... if your point??? now leave the freq alone and cut it alittle and widen the Q... there's your starting point... now you can twiddle to hearts content varying the Q and boost... ya may want to fine tune that freq some too.... but watch out for the hairy palms...

Great addition dementedchord. Thanks for talking some about "Q", anybody else want to add their knowledge/tips?

is it true that higher pitches need different settings?
Yes

And back to equalization...

I don't mess around with a lot of EQ until the final mix... you can spends hours... even days, perfecting a solo track that just won't sit right, and runs all over everything in your final mix... demented is saying the same thing... find out where frequencies step on each other... and them move them out of each other's way

Just get a graphic eq and turn everything all the way up. More frequencies mean more sound means better!! And you dont have to mess with all this stuff.

Neg rep me, I dare ya!:p:D

Just get a graphic eq and turn everything all the way up. More frequencies mean more sound means better!! And you dont have to mess with all this stuff.

Neg rep me, I dare ya!:p:D

Negative rep! No way, I'm more likely to give you a positive. This is the type of innovation that I come here to learn about.

Weeeellll I got to disagree with you there notbradsohner.

Graphic EQ's might be good for shows and all, but there is a few reasons why you do not want to do what you just said.

1- fixed Q means that you will never be able to truly clean those annoying frequencies that can clutter your mix.

2- boosting every thing = more sounds= better.. (I will be polite here) this is BS. That actually sounds like a radio DJ that says well lets compress everything so much that there will be no dynamic range and then gain it all up and hard limiting it all again so the car radio can pick it up 150 miles away.

when you add (boost) you add frequencies, noise, distortion etc. That means that you add trash over the sound.

if you subtract (cut) then there is a filter that will subtract that frequency (ies) which mean it is not adding "trash" over your sound but actually cleans it out.

I have always gotten the best results with my EQ's when I would cut off the basses if I found that my track was missing highs and vice versa.

paramEQ's are an essential tool. I see all these threads for compressor this-n-that...a solid parametric EQ is worth it's weight in American made product. Very rare!

paramEQ's are an essential tool. I see all these threads for compressor this-n-that...a solid parametric EQ is worth it's weight in American made product. Very rare!
I agree with that - unfortunately I am still stuck with using plug ins as I am yet to really get a chance to find and try a good parametric - i mainly want one for guitar rack .. but having said that I don't mind terribly the sonnox plugs I am using..
Still the info in this thread has at the least been very interesting and potentially a good start for many other para EQ tips..

A solid graphic EQ (read API 560) can be quite useful on certain sources.

But in the end, I do prefer a parametric any day of the week, especially Tuesdays. :cool:

parametric equilizer

what was supposed to happen? Something like Beatlejuice?

I know

parametric equilizer
parametric equilizer
parametric equilizer

nope nothing...anyone else get results with this?

I agree with that - unfortunately I am still stuck with using plug ins as I am yet to really get a chance to find and try a good parametric - i mainly want one for guitar rack .. but having said that I don't mind terribly the sonnox plugs I am using..
Still the info in this thread has at the least been very interesting and potentially a good start for many other para EQ tips..

Just so there is no confusion. Almost every eq plugin is a parametric.

They are harder to work with do to latency and don't stack up to nice hardware quality wise but, still parametric. In fact a very good learning tool because of the fact you can see the adjustments made to the Q etc.

Not saying you don't know that Perceive, but an uninformed person could take you post to mean plugins are not parametric.

F.S.

Just so there is no confusion. Almost every eq plugin is a parametric.

They are harder to work with do to latency and don't stack up to nice hardware quality wise but, still parametric. In fact a very good learning tool because of the fact you can see the adjustments made to the Q etc.

Not saying you don't know that Perceive, but an uninformed person could take you post to mean plugins are not parametric.

F.S.

Agreed - my complaint was more that a plug does not fit well into a guitar rig..
:-\

Back