Samson Servo power amps and monitors...

goodbyebluesky

Hi guys I am a guitarist/bassist/ former drummer on a super tight recording budget. I scored a PAIR of Samson Servo 120's for 100 bucks, and since I got 2 in the deal I was thinking I would use one to power my guitar rack, and the other could one day power some passive monitors. As of now I use headphones.
Whats the general opinion in here regarding Samsons and whats the key in pairing them up with the right set of monitors, especially if I'm looking to do it CHEAP? I know this is the RACK forum but I'm sure most here can understand the 2-part question. Thanks

There's nothing wrong with Samson products IMO. I've got the Servo 260 and have listened to their monitors which I thought sounded quite good for the money. You'll really appreciate playing through monitors as opposed to headphones. As far as any keys to matching them up, Samson makes a sub-woofer that compliments their near field monitors which I think does a nice job of handling the low frequency material down to the 50Hz level. I've listened to the Resolv 50's and the sub-woofer connected to a Servo 260 and was quite impressed.

Samson makes budget oriented gear - much like Behringer or Rolls.... their amps tend to be anemic-sounding, but they're usable for their price-point. They're not in the same league as Hafler, Bryston, QSC, etc....

I haven't heard their monitors, but knowing about their other gear, I wouldn't expect a lot...

[QUOTE especially if I'm looking to do it CHEAP? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more Bruce; Samson is a low-end solution which is what he's looking for. For their price-point they're not too shabby.

Back