Running two sets of studio monitors through a rack mixer

Xcaliber

I have a Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1602 mixer that I'm thinking about using to run two sets of powered studio monitors through. I'd like to be able to A/B them while mixing and I think it will be easier to do through the mixer. I also don't want to "eat up" another set of outputs on my interface for the 2nd pair of monitors.

Are there any negative side effects to this?

The mixer has 3 knobs on the front for each channel:
  • Mon/FX
  • Level
  • Balance

as well as a mute button. Will running them through the mixer potentially "color" the sound for example?

I used the Behringer Ultralink Pro (splitter/mixer) I can set the volumes for the individual speakers and then use the Split/Mix buttons to turn speakers on/off. Works very well and if you need, you can add a third set of speakers. Paid $99.

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

What is the rack mixer used for?

It's what you would use any other mixer for, it just doesn't have mic inputs. People who have a lot of keyboards, sound modules, drum machines, etc... use these so they don't need an interface with 16 inputs.

You would use it live for the same reason, to give the sound guy a stereo mix of the keys instead of 12 individual inputs from your 6 keyboards. (or electronic drum module)

Thanks. I think that means I should sell it. :P I don't have any of that stuff. I know that sounds stupid, but I purchase a bunch of rack equipment a few months ago from a moving sale and figured I would find a use for it (or get rid of it) later.

Good idea. You should be able to get enough out of it to buy the switcher that you need.

Back