Routing Puzzle - Help, Please!

LAWGAR

Hello, Ladies & Gentlemen!

I've just settled on burning money and equipment on a bunch of stuff over the years, and now I finally have the time to use it.

The problem is that there seems to be an overwhelming number of possibilities when it comes to wiring the whole thing together, and I'm not really the most brilliant bulb in the room when it comes to understading what each type of connection is meant for on my pres and other peripherals, and how they interact with each other. There are main xlr connections, digital ins and outs, effects loops, and so on, and I have some idea of what to do with them, but I'm kind of insecure in doing anything with that.

By now, I have it all connected in the most basic, intuitive fashion, wich is simply tying the mains of each box to one another before the interface, but I feel I'm missing a lot of potential with such a set up. So, I kindly ask our experts to suggest improvements to the routing.

The gear I have by now is as follows:

UA DCS Remote
Isa One
Solo 610
Drawmer DL 441
FMR PBC-6a
Vocalist 4
6 channel Zoom H6 as interface

What it seems to make sense, to me, is using the DCS as the centerpiece of the rig, both for monitoring purposes as well as for 2 additional recording channels, and the 610 and Isa One as the main tracks for vocals and acoustic instruments. The vocalist should be useful for harmonies, but as an effects box, with its own pre disengaged.

How would you say I can achieve that with the most reasonable routing configuration?

Thanks!

You have many components here, but to hook them together in a useful way is difficult because you have not said what your intentions are. What do you hope to achieve with all this? You mention '2 additional recording channels' so it does seem that you will be doing some recording. But what will you be recording, and onto what will you be doing the recording? How many separate channels do you intend to record at once?

Many, many thanks to you, guys. It was so very kind of you.

I'll try to point out all imprecisions of my latest turn. I'm newbie here, but I figure it would take real experience to help me, so I posted it here, in THE nest of eagles. Hehehe.

Well, I'm folk-country psichodelic soft rock singer-songwriter from Brazil, who pens down in english (think THE more contry-rock albums by british Band Mojave 3 and Richard Hawley, that's what fool myself I can produce).

But in real life I'm a former coporate General Counsel lawyer who's just got the job he needed in order to use THE stuff whe cluttered in closets over THE years.

Say once or twice a week. Having friends over for tracking fridays, while grabbing a beer.

What I figured while I was building up THE RIG is that I wanted it to be versatile in terms of sound (tube-transformer, solid-tansformer, solid-transformerless), modular, easy to carry whenever recording say, drums out, small in total volume (Brazil apartments have total size of a small americam basement).

That's it, I think. I've build a on-rack patch Bay, to keep all ins and outs upfront and combine whatever gear easily.

I didn't care for another interface, beacause I haven't chosen a substitute for Protools yet, and THE h6 seems really good quality to me, besides being very portable. Besides, it work as a stand-alone unit I can use to record ideas without firing all of THE rest up. And 6 chanels sound like enough for my projects' size. Don't it? Lastly, everything was expensive enough, and I already had it.

Would that make a great difference to THE rig to have a say, Focusrite Scarlet, sound and project wise?

The difficulty here is that generally when you put something together, you usually start with the requirements, then find the material and equipment to satisfy those requirements,. But here, you've got the materials and equipment before settling on the requirements.

If I was thinking versatile, small and portable, maybe I would just get the Zoom and forget everything else. If you have all that gear, and want to make use of it, then that suggests fixed rack mounting of it in the area you designate as a studio. But simply having the gear is not a sufficient justification for using it.

The difficulty here is that generally when you put something together, you usually start with the requirements, then find the material and equipment to satisfy those requirements,. But here, you've got the materials and equipment before settling on the requirements.

If I was thinking versatile, small and portable, maybe I would just get the Zoom and forget everything else. If you have all that gear, and want to make use of it, then that suggests fixed rack mounting of it in the area you designate as a studio. But simply having the gear is not a sufficient justification for using it.

make

Thank you Mr. Gekko for the advice. The matter of using all the stuff is really down to making benefit of it or ditching it. Otherwise, I would be sat down over gear someone else could've put to good musical use for longer then I already did. I'm 37 now, do not expect to be on the cover of some teen magazine (or of my local grocery's discount banner), but I finally got the time (and for how long I do not know) to try and make real what I've been listening in my head for years, and dreams I've tried to make up to by being more stuff. In that landscape, it better help or else it goes.

But, in end, I've done what is always good advice we do, I've unboxed it all and played around with, learned with my hands and went for the gear's instruction manuals. So now I'm figuring I'm happy I've sorted it out (hopefully).

There's a little too many chain path before the interface (I'll keep the interface, I have a country home I go very often to and I have to have mobility-over-quality standarts from time to time), at least more that I feel safe to expect from my memory to take automatic care of whenever I get down to tracking and plug it all up, but I write it down it keep it in site to make the chore easier with my brain. Maybe I'll send you the signal chain's path for you to consider. Maybe a picture of the thing, since I think it's very neetly together.

But one thing I can tell already: that DCS Remote is a work of art, design-wise. It is the perfect control centerpiece for any singer-songwriter's home studio.

Back