Routing Multiple Sources With Patchbay

olbean

Okay, i'm about to buy my first patch bay for my studio - this probably isn't possible...

I'm planning to have 8 direct outs coming from my mixing desk into the patch bay and those would normally go to a tape recorder. Let's now say I had an EQ hooked up through the patch bay. Is there any way to route all 8 of those signals through the EQ and back out to tape? I'm guessing the only way would be if the EQ had 8 inputs and 8 outputs, right?

I already feel stupid for asking this.

I mean, they say there are no stupid questions, but... ;)

Of course the EQ can only process as many independent channels as it's designed for. That would be two in a typical stereo unit. The point of the patchbay is to make it easier to choose which of the tracks you want to process at any given time.

Though you can obviously run any or all channels through an aux or sub out from you're desk through the eq.

LOL. Basically I've spent the entire day planning routing for everything and have pretty much completely fried my brain. It literally got to the point where I was drawing over a photo of a patch box with my finger and thinking to myself "can't I just send both of those to that?"

I don't think I was expecting the outputs back to tape to be independent (if I was, then that really is stupid) but I guess I was thinking the EQ could process everything and then almost act as a submix for me to send one channel out to tape.

It won't happen again. Promise.

This summer I replaced two patch bays and built a different desk "bridge" for my rack units. It took me two days and two 12x24 pieces of drawing paper to get everything working again!

Okay, I have another question - in Half Normalled mode I understand it's possible to maintain the normal audio path, as well as send the signal somewhere else, but is it possible to send it to something else within the patchbay?

??? You can plug it into anything you want! As long as it fits or you can adapt it. ;)

That really is most of the point of a patchbay.

Back