RNC versus Behringer composer

kp174

I am going to buy a compressor this week and these two are the ones that I keep hearing good things about. In everyone's opinion, which is the right one to buy, or would I be happy with either one? thanks...

I own both the Behringer Autocom and Composer
Pro and both are fine units. I have never tried the RNC but have heard they hold their own. I know this is a poor comparison, But I
find the Behringers useful for my applications and extremly cost-effective.

[This message has been edited by MISTERQCUE (edited 07-26-2000).]

I posted the same exact question to rec.pro.audio, and everyone that replied said get the RNC. They say they are the best compressor for under $200, and they compare to even more expensive units. So, no questions asked, get the RNC. I'm getting one.

THe RNC is a stereo compressor only- it can't do dual mono. I'm sure that it is an awsome sounding compressor, but if you NEED to process two seperate channels at once with different settings (like I do when tracking drums) the Behringer is the better choice (and can still be linked for stereo)
BTW I have a dbx 266XL and I'm pretty happy with it's performance- the behringer may be a little less colored though-

-jhe

James - but you need more than two tracks for drums, right? So how many Composers do you use when tracking drums? Or do you overdub?

Sounds like a bad joke... How many Composers does it take to track drums?

Oh, almost forgot - kp - I've got the Behringer, using it for two tracks at a time, and it's fine. And I've nothing but good reports about the RNC. I don't think you have to worry about the quality of these units - probably more a matter of what they can do (stereo vs double mono) and price.

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 07-26-2000).]

dobro,
usually I just compress the snare and kick- I leave the overheads and the tom mics alone.

-jhe

KP174,

I own 2 RNC's, as well as a Behringer Multicom Pro and an Aphex 108 Dual. I always reach for the RNC's first, but the Behringer doesn't sound bad at all for certain apps, it all depends on your circumstances...How many comps do you/will you need? You might find the 4 comps in a one rackspace unit (Behringer) a great bang for the buck (like I did) for non-crucial use, or you might prefer to spend your $ on less comp channels with a better sound. I love the RNC's, but have to say the Behringer surprised me, I expected worse for the $...as for the Aphex, sometimes a bit noisy. Oh yeah, I have a Joe Meek VC1Q that I use the compression on as well, I highly recommend the Meek compression if you need some heavy-handed "effect" style comp'ing, again for the price, I know there's always better for the money, except maybe in the RNC case!

BW

Back