reverbs

dobro

What's a 24-bit outboard reverb that's reliable and not expensive? (The Alesis Nanoverb is only 18-bit). Indicator: I'm happy with the sound I'm getting with the ART tube preamps I've got. A similar quality range in reverberation is what I'm looking for.

I've got Cool Edit Pro - I don't like the presets much, but I've been playing with the settings and getting better results, but I've got no idea how it compares to outboard units. Question: is there something you can look for in reverb units (other than the price) that will give you some idea of what you're getting? You know, in mics you can look at frequency response, impedance, sensitivity and stuff like that. What I'm trying to do is decide whether a decent 24-bit outboard unit would give a sound so much better than Cool Edit that it's worth the investment.

What i think would be better is to get rid of the Cool Edit and get Logic audio no less than gold. For the amount of the outboard unit you could get the program, and the plugins that come with it are great. The effects/verbs are outstanding, not to mention you will have a much nicer program to work with.. But hey its just my opinion and my two pennies ;-)

I just got the Lexicon MPX500 and it kicks ass. I think it is 24 bit. Units like Lexicon and TC Electronics that offer at most 2 effects at a time can devote more power to better alogrithms that make for a lusher effect. Cheaper units that offer many effects at the same time don't sound as good. Rock On!

Dobro,lots a people like the high end lexicon stuff. Software reverbs uses lots of processor power but a hardware unit makes it easy to A/B your effects instead of waiting to render out the effect. Granted if you have a big fast processor you won't wait long but most of us don't. Anyhow Lexi's it.

Layth

The lexicon Tim mentions is 24-bit, and $429 from 8th Steet (plus another $100 to get it to me here). My computer system's small and slow (that's one reason I'm using Cool Edit). I like the idea of instant A/B (one of the downsides of Cool Edit is the processing time - no real time effects, especially in reverb). Hmmm... seems a direction is emerging, but an expensive one.

I'm curious about the algorithm thing - I suppose manufacturers keep details about this secret, and that there's no way you can compare one piece of gear or software to another in terms of their algorithms. Am I right?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dobro:
...there's no way you can compare one piece of gear or software to another in terms of their algorithms...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are two little devices you can use, attached to opposite sides of your head ;).

A very good unit in the budget price range is the TC Electronic M One.
2 seperate engines, fabulous effects (the reverbs are from the expensive M2000 reverb unit), very flexible and easy user interface, SP/DIF in/out and the same 24 bit AD/DA converters as used in their Finalizer. Also it's one of the rare units that can be clock master and slave at the same time, so you can use it in a digital loop without locking or feedback loop problems.
(and now TC should get me a unit for free... ;) ).

Hope this helps

Cheers

Arthur

pg - I know, I know, and I knew somebody would say that, but I don't get to listen and compare stuff over here.

thew - I lived in England for two years - you have to pay more for *everything* there. Not that incomes are higher there either, mind.

Arthur - what are you doing in Belgium?

I didn't mean to be a smart-ass... well, okay, yeah I did. Sorry about the inability to preview the gear. And I thought _I_ lived in a vaccuum.

It's tough to compare algorithms (even if you could get a peek into how they do it) since sound is very subjective. More bits should equal better resolution, if all other factors are equal. But I'm sure a really good 24 bit algorithm can sound better than a really crappy 64 bit one. To complicate matters: some sources might sound better through one unit, and other sources might sound better through another unit. Unfortunately, listening is the only way I know.

Dobro - what I'm doing? Well, living for a start :D . I have my own little project studio, production company (and soon record label) and was one of the 'boat people' that stranded here after VS Planet went down (I use the VS 1680 to record tracks on location).

Seriously though, the TC Electronics MOne is really worth a look. I have other reverbs (TC M3000, Lexicon PCM81 etc...) and although the MOne is not really in this league, it comes pretty close. The only thing I find better on the Lexicon are the ambient algos. The TC sounds somewhat 'brighter' than the Lexicon (yes I tested the MPX 500 too), and that's exactly what I like.
I guess you'd do good to find a shop where they sell both units and where they are willing to lend them to you for a real life test. You'll like the user interface on the TC (very 'analogish'). The compressors on the MOne are also quite good and you can be very creative when creating your own user patches (e.g. combining reverb with compressor, create a modulating or phasing reverb tail, ...).
Just a thought

Cheers
Arthur

pg - thanks, you're right. The ears have it.

arthur - you and your studio are way outta my league, but I appreciate your input, and I'll check out M One, too. But Belgium? Well, it's next to Holland, anyway. :)

Back