Reel to Reel Tape Deck Enquiry

ChristopherTheo

Hi Guys.

I own a Revox B77 7-1/2 ips Tape deck.

Its a very nice machine and the aim is to record digital sources for tape saturation etc.

Everything sounds good, include when the monitor switch is switched to Input. When I switch it to Tape it doesn't record a fluent consistent sound when its playing it back. It has very minuscule cuts and jumps but on a really regular basis creating not the smoothest of sounds.

I was wondering if the problem is merely just the old reel tape itself, as the machine seems to be working quite nicely.

Thanks for the help

Cuts and jumps? Sounds like debris on the capstan, heads and tape path - or old tape with surface shedding. We'd need to hear to be sure.

Hi Chris, as Rob has said, most likely worn tape or/and clogged heads and guides.
You need a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol some cotton buds and a clean cloth, mans white hanky is ideal. Do not use the alcohol on the rubber pinch roller, best stuff is de-ionized water but spit is a good second!

But, #1 job, buy a reel of decent tape. Do you have a metal NAB spool? If so, makes sense to get tape on another one. If not buy tape on the same size or smaller 7" ? I am well out of new tape supply data but many here will point you to a reliable source, need your 10/20?

I don't know what you have in terms of an AI but if you want to send/receive tape tracks makes sense to look at 4 in, 4 out interfaces.

Dave. (btw, the correct term for wot you got is "tape dropout"

Back