Recording to PC

vixhex

Im having a problem recording my guitar onto my computer. I have a sound blaster live platinum card with the front panel inputs (i dont expect superb sound from it, but this is terrible). I would like to add effects to the guitar with my multi effects pedal but the sound that the PC ends up recording is very different from what it sounds like if i just have it hooked up to my fender amp. It sounds really tinny and its distorted . . . much more distorted than the pedal distorts the sound. Its just not a convincing sound. Do I need something like a pre amp? Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of hardware to buy? Thanks

Connections??

Just one thing. I need a little more information from you about certain things...

1. Do you connect into a line in or mic socket?

If it's the mic socket, use the line in socket.

2. Have you set the level, so that it doesn't distort your computer speakers?

Set the level, so that it's hot, but not too hot. In other words, don't let it go above the red threshold.

3. And, how is everything connected?

This will give me a better idea on how everything is connected and working.

Adam.

basically i run into problems with this setup

guitar running to in on effects (zoom multi efx)
out from effects pedal to the line in on the sound blaster front panel (1/4" jacks on all these connections)
I keep the level on the line in really low and the guitar level low too (actually ive tried lots of different volume levels and nothing seems to help)
It doesnt really sound distorted like something is being overdriven, its just that the guitar sounds a lot different than if i had just hooked it up and played through my fender amp. It sounds quite "tinny" and im considering just mic'ing my amp although I would rather just record straight to the computer. I believe that I read about a small tube preamp that people use in line when recording this way (i think they referred to it as a little black hockey puck lookin thing for around 99$). Would this help?
Ive also tried hooking it up in this fashion:
guitar to fender amp, fender amp headphone out to the in on the effects pedal, out from pedal to line in on the sound blaster platinum "live drive" front panel input. this didnt help things either.

thanks for your input

Well, I'm not sure what that black puck thing is! But I'm sort of convinced about the way you're recording.

What software are you using to record? This is important as it lets me know how that side of things is handled. You see, I don't want to insult your intelligence by saying this, but have you been setting a good recording rate of 44.1kHz and above? If not, then this is the problem. For instance, if you use the Windows sound recorder, the normal rate is usually set at 11.025Hz - 8bit. This doesn't help anyone who wants CD quality sound! Get back to me on this...

Adam.

actually ive used several different programs to record. mostly cakewalk pro audio 9 and sonic foundry acid. all of the recording settings are set up correctly. to further troubleshoot, I can hear the difference even before I start recording. Sometimes I hook up my headphones to monitor what I am recording, and sometimes I use my regular computer speakers to monitor. either way, it still seems to come out wrong.

oh, by the way, i found the page for that preamp

http://www.artroch.com/127/127desc.htm

its mainly a mic preamp, but says it will fatten up the signal of any instrument being run thru it
think that will help (my sound does sound like it needs to be fattened up a bit as it does sound really tinny . . . it lacks the low grunge type distortion that i normally get from my multi-effects pedal.

its just that the guitar sounds a lot different than if i had just hooked it up and played through my fender amp

No surprises there. Recording direct is usually going to be a lot thinner and tinny compared to micing an amp. Same with using line outs from the amp. You'd be better off with:

guitar -> zoom -> amp -> mic -> preamp -> sound-card

That way, you capture real air being pushed around by the amps speaker.

I'll second Pglewis on this one. When my band made its first recording experiments on a 4-track (before we had a mic)the distorted guitars sounded like someone playing a comb with tissue paper wrapped around it... or some kinda crippled fly or something. Mic up an amp its the only way to go!

Hi again.

OneLouder and pglewis seem convinced that without an amp, you can't get a decent sound when connecting straight to the computer. I have a different view on this, as I have been recording without an amp for 3 years. I have never had a problem where I thought that the sound was tinny or "..like someone playing a comb with tissue paper wrapped around it...".

I have in the past used:

A Zoom 505
A Korg AX300G
and I presently use a VG-8EX.

The VG-8EX has amp simulations, so that unit doesn't really count. But the Zoom and Korg units, don't have anything like that. I simply connected the headphone out (or LR outs) to the line in socket of a soundblaster card and recorded away.

As I said, I can't think what vishex's problem is. But I am sure that it has something to do with either:

1. The way you're recording the signal into the computer
or
2. The Zoom unit in question

Btw, are you recording straight from an amp's own outs? Like a headphone or line out? I've done that and it's no fun!

More info please!

Adam.

Nope, I'm not convinced that you can't get a decent sound running direct. But I'm convinced you'll be fighting an uphill battle. Some units, like the POD and J Station are cabinet emulators that can give pretty good results. Lots of people mix direct signals with the mic'ed signal to fill-up the sound a bit. But just running direct from the Zoom is not going to be as full as mic'ing an amp, period.

I've been using the VG-8EX for 8 months now and people keep wondering what amps/mics I've used!
I don't use my Korg AX300G anymore because I've got an amp/mic/cabinet simulator in the VG-8EX. This helps me get things done quickly. I do mic up amps, but I usually like to colour the sound with another amp and there are never any other amps to record. So, I use the VG-8EX for a different tone.

Now, back to the problem. I'm giving up because you all want to either use an amp sim like POD or want to mic up a real amp. EXCELLENT! I'd rather work in that way and I'm sure that vishex will find it better than recording DI from the Zoom.

Good luck to you.
Adam.

We actually recorded some clean guitar sounds DI using the lineouts from the amps and it sounded ok it was just the distortion that was awful.

I reckon that could well be down to the fact (in my opinion)that the amp speaker has a lot to do with a nice distorted tone. Take it out of the loop and lose something from the tone.

Just my opinion!

Back