reamp ing

ikijapan

Hi all,

I have a need for recording guitar with the ability to reamp them later as well as recording the signal (with distortion) at the time.

So I have read through posts here and there seems to be some conflicting information. Some say you can reamp with a DI box in reverse, and others say you need a reamp box or something.

So, at this point, I'm not sure if I need both a DI box and a reamp box, or if there is one that will do both.

Before I was thinking about getting both of these:

http://www.reamp.com/

and

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDI/

but if there is something that has both built in and is nicer I am willing to spend more money. But the JDI definitely doesn't have a "reverse" option or anything like that, and I had used it before and tried to get it to reamp and it definitely didn't work.

Help me out here guys. Oh, by the way, I am just planning to use this for guitar and bass...I noticed there are some really expensive DI boxes out there, and not sure of the benefits of those, any help is appreciated!

I did find a thread that makes mention of the Little Labs Redeye DI/reamp. Are there any by radial with just a single input/output? I don't need to do 7 at a time or anything which was the only one I saw have that on the radial website. The reason being...I have a gift certificate for amazon.com and I'm trying to find one that is available on their website.

Also, can ANY reamp/di box handle various sources? I mean, most of these mention guitar, but I was going to try to reamp like drums through my guitar amp, vocals through my guitar amp, and who knows what else...that doesn't matter right?

pikingrin said:
That looks like a pretty decent unit... Would that work for connecting a guitar signal through a (cringe) POD?

Where would you want the POD to be in the signal chain?

ikijapan said:
Are there any by radial with just a single input/output?
Radial make the X-Amp reamp box.

To reamp correctly, you will need an active DI (like the radial J48) to track the guitar signal and a reamp box to go between your recorder and your amp.

The active direct box will not load down the pickups, a passive DI will.

If you want to do it right, get a reamp box. I would suspect that anyone that says you don't need one (or that you can just use a passive box in reverse) has not used a reamp box. It's a night and day difference.

ikijapan said:
Are there any by radial with just a single input/output?

To reamp correctly, you will need an active DI (like the radial J48) to track the guitar signal and a reamp box to go between your recorder and your amp.

If you want to do it right, get a reamp box. I would suspect that anyone that says you don't need one (or that you can just use a passive box in reverse) has not used a reamp box. It's a night and day difference.

Farview said:

Oh, thanks for the info Farview. That's weird though, I've always heard the opposite, that an active DI box introduces additional noise, and that it is best to use a passive DI box. Does it make any difference if I'm using active pickups, when I did use a passive radial DI box once, it was hard to keep the level under control with my EMG-81s, they were almost clipping the input of my pres.

What about my question about reamping other instruments, can someone take a stab at that?

The DI is your pre. It outputs line-level.

Run the output of the DI directly to your soundcard.

ikijapan said:
Oh, thanks for the info Farview. That's weird though, I've always heard the opposite, that an active DI box introduces additional noise, and that it is best to use a passive DI box. Does it make any difference if I'm using active pickups, when I did use a passive radial DI box once, it was hard to keep the level under control with my EMG-81s, they were almost clipping the input of my pres.

What about my question about reamping other instruments, can someone take a stab at that?
With active pickups, use a passive DI.

c7sus said:
The DI is your pre. It outputs line-level.

Run the output of the DI directly to your soundcard.
A DI box does not output a line level signal, it takes a line level signal and matches it to a mic input.

Fishmed_Returns said:
Where would you want the POD to be in the signal chain?
Theoretically, I would like to record a "dry" guitar track, no mic'd amp (unless I'm feeling frisky), just direct. I would then take the line outs from my interface and use the POD in that, rather than running it to my amp. Just for some different flavors that I can use in the background to support the main track(s) that I lay down with my amp. The only issue that I can see is that I would have to record the original part super clean to make sure I'm not dirtying up anything that's already there. :o

Farview said:
A DI box does not output a line level signal, it takes a line level signal and matches it to a mic input.

Ouch! Yeah, I stepped on my dick that time! :(

pikingrin said:
Theoretically, I would like to record a "dry" guitar track, no mic'd amp (unless I'm feeling frisky), just direct. I would then take the line outs from my interface and use the POD in that, rather than running it to my amp. Just for some different flavors that I can use in the background to support the main track(s) that I lay down with my amp. The only issue that I can see is that I would have to record the original part super clean to make sure I'm not dirtying up anything that's already there. :o

It doesn't really make sense to reamp through an amp simulator. Just get some amp sim software and do it all in the computer. The whole point of reamping is to record direct for monitoring and editing purposes and then reamp through a real amp for the tone.

If you don't mind spending the money, the Millennia TD-1 combines a high end DI (both tube and SS), reamp, two bands of Millennia EQ and 1 channel of Millennia mic pre in a single portable box. And it looks purty too. :D

Attachments

• TD-1 image.jpg
    TD-1 image.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
TexRoadkill said:
It doesn't really make sense to reamp through an amp simulator. Just get some amp sim software and do it all in the computer. The whole point of reamping is to record direct for monitoring and editing purposes and then reamp through a real amp for the tone.
I would say that the whole idea behind reamping is to get the performance with whatever tone (or lack of tone) makes the guitar player feel good. Then, you can do whatever you want with the sound later.

All amp sims sound different, if the pod sounds better to you than UAD nigel, use the pod.

Farview said:
All amp sims sound different, if the pod sounds better to you than UAD nigel, use the pod.

I was thinking more of the economy of the situation. You can get the same POD algorythms as software and save the cost of a reamp box.

TexRoadkill said:
I was thinking more of the economy of the situation. You can get the same POD algorythms as software and save the cost of a reamp box.
I didn't realize line 6 came out with the software version of their stuff.

Back