reamp ing

Farview said:
I would say that the whole idea behind reamping is to get the performance with whatever tone (or lack of tone) makes the guitar player feel good. Then, you can do whatever you want with the sound later.

All amp sims sound different, if the pod sounds better to you than UAD nigel, use the pod.

Agreed. It's also nice to be able to try several different amp layers. Sometimes a re-amped track through an amp-sim will kind of smooth things out when placed underneath your main mic'ed tone. Also, if the guitarist has a bunch of effects that he relies on for his tone (such as myself). Put the DI after the guitar and before the effect and you can go back later and have more control over the sound. Or if there's a mistake, such as a funky tempo on the delay, you've got something to cover your ass. A reamp box is definitely one of those tools that's not necessary, but there's no reason not to have one.

Farview said:
With active pickups, use a passive DI.

OK, now I am wondering if I could be doing things differently.

On my bass guitar recording (my bass has active pickups too, it's a music man), I have been plugging the bass directly into the preamp with no DI box or anything. It seems to turn out fine, but now I am wondering if I should be using a passive DI? Also, since my guitar has active pickups (EMG 81) could I just plug that directly into the preamp without using a DI? Then if I have another guitar (fender strat) that doesn't have active pickups, would I need a different DI box for it than the one for the active pickup guitars??

Help...

ikijapan said:
OK, now I am wondering if I could be doing things differently.

On my bass guitar recording (my bass has active pickups too, it's a music man), I have been plugging the bass directly into the preamp with no DI box or anything. It seems to turn out fine, but now I am wondering if I should be using a passive DI?
If you are pluggin into the instrument input or line input, you are fine. If it sounds good, there's no problem

ikijapan said:
Also, since my guitar has active pickups (EMG 81) could I just plug that directly into the preamp without using a DI?
You can.
ikijapan said:
Then if I have another guitar (fender strat) that doesn't have active pickups, would I need a different DI box for it than the one for the active pickup guitars??

Help...
You can use an active DI for anything. Passive DI's are for active guitar, keyboards, and other line level things.

Back