rca-patchbay=s/pdif (coax) patchbay?

fretless

hi,

since my rack consists of more and more gear with s/pdif rca-outs and my delta 1010 has only 1 s/pdif in and it would be foolish to go through a/d conversion more than once while recording i thought about a s/pdif-patchbay.

does anybody know if it´s possible to use a simple rca-patchbay (think i saw such a thing once) feeding it with s/pdif signals for patching like on an analogue patchbay? ... or do i need a "real" digital patchbay like the one from midiman? or can i even use an unbalanced 1/4" patchbay using self-made rca to 1/4"-leads for connections?

thanks for any reply!

fretless

Definite maybe,

Theoretically yes, but the Ohmage must stay consistent (75 Ohm), you can't exceed 20' total length, and you can't split, drop, or blend any part of the signal. Give it a try and tell me how it goes.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

You sure can!

I have hooked up s/pdif connections to unballanced patchbays before to use them as "digital" patchbays, and it works fine.

Absolutly yes you can. I have all my S/PDIF devices connected to a patch bay I made out of F-81s (coaxial cable splices) and the cableing is 75 ohm Comscope headend coax. I've been using it over two years and have never had a prolem out of it.:D

Back