Ratio control on a noise gate

sync

Pending
I'm thinking of getting the dbx 166xl. I'm trying to understand what I'll be missing by not having a ratio control on the noise gate. Why would I want to let some of the noise through when the gate closes?

hi,

our ears are better at detecting if a signal has gone from full-on to total silence than from full-on to attenuated to a certain amount. By using that ratio control you can make the noise gate less obvious, while at the same time getting rid of a lot of noise. Note that most of the time you don't need full on gating because the "noise" is masked by other sounds.

greets,

Thomas

If you are using a gate with slow decay and there are multiple tracks, won't the switch to total silence also be masked by other sounds?

Last edited:
A gate with a ratio control becomes an expander.

Expanders are usually used when you want to make the softer parts even softer - but not cut them out completely. SureShot explained it pretty well. Undesired background noise might be something you would experiment using an expander on, to see if the result is better than a pure gate.

As to your other question, yes, sometimes other tracks can cover up noise or mask decays, but sometimes you may be recording music that uses more space or is otherwise more transparent. There are more things in life (and music) than kick-ass balls-to-the-wall rock and roll.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to regret not having a ratio control. Based on the few responses so far, the answer seems to be yes. Is there a well-regarded compressor/expander in that price range that has one?

you can make yourself a ratio control for the expander by mixing in a bit of the uneffected signal (i.e the original signal ) with the gated one.
this will get you by in that respect but it will also effect the compressor and its own relative ratio .
to counter act that you may have to dial in a bit more compression.

The human ear expects to hear a bit of background noise... the total absence is actually quite unsettling... as an example... VoIP telephone packitizes and sends only actual voice transmissions... it's complete dead air if no one is speaking... so... something called "comfort noise" is generated at the destination so that the listener doesn't think the call dropped.

Some of the earlier digital recording suffered this same problem... the silent passages were just that... quiet (too quiet)... the ear expects something.. an expander provides this...

Back