Rane Ge 30 garphic EQ?

notCardio

I walk the line
Anyone have any experience with these? They're single channel 30 band. I'm thinking about buying a couple.

Rane has a good rep for other stuff, so I was wondering if there were any users here?

I had 2 of those that I tried to use on my PA and they always seemed to suck the life right out of the music.

I want to heavily tweak my audio system monitoring, including headphones, due to hearing loss in one ear. Long story.

This is pretty much just to listen to music. If there's any recording involved, it will be of a non-critical variety.

So give me some recommendations. Independent stereo 31-ish band, nothing that will break the bank.

For what you are wanting to use them for, they would suck. Those are.pretty noisey and not anything I would want in my monitor path.

Of course, I wouldn't ever use a graphic eq for anything important. Keep in mind that these eq's only control the same three notes in all 10 octaves. That's really pretty useless when you are trying to really shape the tone of something.

Keep in mind that these eq's only control the same three notes in all 10 octaves. That's really pretty useless when you are trying to really shape the tone of something.

OK, can you elaborate on that and educate me?

And I'm not trying to shape tone, per se, I'm trying to boost frequesncies that I can't hear very well on one side to more or less equal what I can hear on the other. I plan on using a tone generator to find that balance.

I guess it would be more or less equivalent to 'shooting a room'.

If you double a frequency, it is the same note and octave up. If you cut a frequency in half, it is that note and octave down.

Most start at 20hz, which is (approx) an E.

Then 25hz, which is between an G and a G#

Then 31.5hz, which is between a B and a C

Every other slider is a multiple of those three frequencies. 40hz is an octave up from 20hz, 50hz is an octave up from 25hz, 63hz is an octave up from 31.5hz, and so on.

This means that you only ever really have control of those same three tones in all the octaves. Yes, you can make bigger curves by adjusting multiple sliders, but if you (for example) have a problem at 450 hz, you will have to dip both 400hz and 500hz in order to take care of it. This affects everything from 315hz to 630hz, when you really only need to dip a narrow band at 450hz.

It's kind of like doing heart surgery with a broadsword. A decent parametric EQ would allow you to build the complex curves at the precise frequencies you will need to accomplish your goal.

Just flip your stereo field often during mixing. I can't imagine successfully creating a stereo image accurately with that kind of hearing damage. I would be more wary of damaging my hearing further, and would make an effort to record and mix at low levels.

Ymmv

Back