Rane DMS 22

dickiefunk

Hi. Can anyone tell me about this pre? Is it basically 2 Rane MS-1b's + eq in a rack?
Does the DMS 22 sound the same as a MS-1b or is one better than the other?
I'd really appreciate your info on this pre.

Thanks

i had a question about the different revisions of the ms-1 a while back and saw many answers online. since most of the substance of your question should have an objective answer, i would suggest contacting rane and asking them-- they can tell you if the dms 22 is the same circuit as the ms-1b with added eq, which should in turn, help answer the rest of your question (does it sound better-- i would think an added eq would help, unless components the signal path degrades the audio or adds unwieldy noise (i don't think they'll tell you that exactly though :D)).
i did that for my ms-1 inquiry and got a clear answer (where the answers in various messageboards contradicted each othter).

Thanks for the replies. I contacted Rane and they said that both preamps used the same OpAmps but the OpAmps have been continually revised and updated. I noticed that the MS-1b provides an extra 6dB of gain to the DMS 22?

Just heard back from Rane and they said the MS-1b is slightly cleaner because the signal path is shorter. Am thinking I probably won't bother getting it because I already have the DMP3 which is already very decent and would guess that the DMS 22 would be pretty much on par.

To be honest, start saving your pennies if you're looking for a better sounding pre. I told you my path in response to the PM you sent me...

IMO, the pre's on your Layla (which I own as well) can do a pretty good job when stacked up against the VTB-1, DMP3, etc....etc. Instead of spinning your wheels with budget pre's, grow into something that will better suit what you're looking for sound wise. I'm not saying you need to spend thousands of dollars, because you really don't - I spent $600 and am extremely happy.

I "spun" my wheels trying an assortment of budget pre's and while they were good to get me going, I grew into something better and may grow again.

My 2 cents....

To be honest, start saving your pennies if you're looking for a better sounding pre. I told you my path in response to the PM you sent me...

IMO, the pre's on your Layla (which I own as well) can do a pretty good job when stacked up against the VTB-1, DMP3, etc....etc. Instead of spinning your wheels with budget pre's, grow into something that will better suit what you're looking for sound wise. I'm not saying you need to spend thousands of dollars, because you really don't - I spent $600 and am extremely happy.

I "spun" my wheels trying an assortment of budget pre's and while they were good to get me going, I grew into something better and may grow again.

My 2 cents....

Yeah point taken. I was expecting the Rane to be something more special but realise for better quality (not different colour) I'm gonna have to up the budget more.

Which one did you buy for $600 and where from?

True Systems P-Solo. It's a one-channel pre - clean with a great DI as well. Compared to the budget pre's I've owed, it has a "character" to it...BUT, if you're looking for "color", look elsewhere. It certainly captures what I'm recording with more detail than any of the budget ones did - it should.

I purchased mine from Sweetwater Sound, but I've seen it in other online stores (Musicians Friend, 8th Street Music). In the UK, I'm not sure.

Back