Rack Gear placement?

Track Rat

Just Your Average Sized Member
I'd mount the patchbay at the bottom of the rack cause you don't want the cables hanging down over the front of your gear. I'd put the tube pre at the top cause it'll generate the most heat and heat rises. Also keep your power cords and audio lines as far apart as possible to minimize 60 cycle interference (same goes for the wall warts). If you have the room put a single space empty below the mic pre as well so it can vent.

Ok, preamp at the top, but I'm planning to get Samson PowerBrite Pro - which is power strip and light, so it'd have to be the very top one. All the wall warts would be in it. Should I also leave an empty space between them to keep the preamp further from the power and to let it vent? Or maybe I should just get a floor power strip/surge protector to keep all the power chords far away? What's a practical advice here? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Gear_Junky (edited 08-01-2000).]

I'm going to put together a small rack: power conditioner, patchbay, FX, compressor and preamps. Which of these units tend to overheat or possibly interfere with other units - what to keep in mind when inserting them in the rack? Like I saw it says in the manual of Presonus Blue Tube preamp to always mount it to the right (or to the left) of their Blue Max comp due to some interference.

Back