rack gear for home studio and live guitar

skweeks

i'm looking into getting a rackmount effects processor for mainly live guitar... i've found a bunch of Digitech DSP-128's and S100's relatively cheap used... any comments?... are they suitable for live guitar use and maybe a tiny bit of direct guitar recording?

My favorite, by far, is Rocktron's Voodu Valve used as both a preamp and multi-fx unit. I use a number of different guitar/pick-up combinations through it for a variety of music/sounds (from Vai-ish screaming distortion, to sweet+warm jazz, to funky-harmonized-spaced out delays). Live : I use this as my preamp also, so I bypass the preamp in the amp (Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10"), or I use a Velocity power amp. Most all of the effects you (or at least I) could ever want are in this unit, with incredible control over all of them. Recording : I record direct from the Voodu Valve. It has a great adjustable speaker simulator. Oh, and my favorite part is the Hush noise reduction. It turns a dead silence into a screaming guitar. This is really great both live (I have to look at my amp to know if it is really on) and when recording (quiet gear really helps here). I think that regardless of you're style, you can probably get the tones/effects you want with this unit. good luck.

If you can find one,you might like the Digitech Valve FX,it's not the best thing out there but I found one with the pedalboard for $150 last Sept.,and for that price,I feel I got a good deal.It does most everyday FX like Chorus,Delay,etc.and it's addressable via MIDI CC's and Program Change.Cheers!

Rack mount effects are great if your amplifier has a good effects loop or you are miking your amp and running it through the mixing board. Most effects loops on guitar amps are crap and just don't work well and I think you might be disapointed. I suggest trying something before you buy it. If you run your rig through a board, then the Digitech units you mentioned are good and I am assuming a great bargain used. The best chorus and flange effects for guitar are still analog foot pedals....in my humble opinion.

im using an alesis quad GT ... its quite good but in my case im kind of chasing the opposite of what skweeks is ..Ive been looking for that classic guitar cab sound , although the gt has a few simulators , just doesnt sound the same i dont think ...
spider

Back