rack equipment touch-up

SonicAlbert said:
In my definition, rack rash is specifically the gouging in the faceplate that occurs around the screw holes.

ouch......

This is the lamest argument in the history of the internet, but since we're having it........

SonicAlbert said:
In my definition, rack rash is specifically the gouging in the faceplate that occurs around the screw holes.
I've always considered rack rash to be the scrapes to the side of the unit from just putting it in the rack, out of the rack, whatever. I do agree with you on the point above, though.

SonicAlbert said:
I do believe that extensive rack rash, like other visible signs of abuse, is an indicator of poor maintainence and lack of caring on the part of the owner of the equipment.
Gotta disagree on this point. Why would the abrasions made by the screws be indicative of poor maintenance and a lack of gear compassion?

ez_willis said:
This is the lamest argument in the history of the internet, but since we're having it........

I should also mention that I view Sonic Albert as one of the more knowledgeable members of the board, ESPECIALLY when it comes to gear.

I'm not challenging you as much as picking your brain.

ez_willis said:

I've always considered rack rash to be the scrapes to the side of the unit from just putting it in the rack, out of the rack, whatever. I do agree with you on the point above, though.

Gotta disagree on this point. Why would the abrasions made by the screws be indicative of poor maintenance and a lack of gear compassion?

If we can't have the lamest argument on the internet, then why even be here? :D

If you have gear compassion (love that term) then ripping the metal is horrible feeling. I mean, I used to do it back when I was just starting to buy rack equipment--I didn't know about nylon washers at that time. But even then, I tightened the screws only as much as I had to because I could tell the metal on metal was doing bad things to the paint job.

You see some rack gear and the ear is actually completely chewed off around the rack holes. If you care about your gear and the appearance of your gear, I just don't think it is possible to rip the metal apart like that.

So while chewed up rack ears do not necessarily mean the gear has not been maintained well, they do indicate a certain carelessness about the appearance of the gear. Which could in turn indicate that the owner was the same way in other regards about more important things like making sure the unit was grounded, that it got clean power protected from spikes, and other issues like that.

I do agree that "rack rash" should refer not only to the rack ears, but the whole unit. You are totally right on that. Anything involved with the unit's life in a rack that causes cosmetic damage should be considered rack rash.

SonicAlbert said:
Which could in turn indicate that the owner was the same way in other regards about more important things like making sure the unit was grounded, that it got clean power protected from spikes, and other issues like that.

Grounded? :confused: :D

ez_willis said:
Grounded? :confused: :D
You know... NOT flying through the air. It is those darn landings that do the most damage. :D

(Electrical Groundings is what he was talking about.)

Rack Rash is what happens in people's pants when I tell them how much any particular rack is worth.

Then they invariably ask me what I think of Behringer, Nady etc.

Back