Rack Effects or Computer Effects

Denarius

Hi there,

Just a general question following an abortive Google search.

I've got a Phonic Helix Board 18 on the way that I'm going to be using with Garage Band with as it seems to be able to do an awful lot.

I was just wondering why, with so many effects available on a computer, rack mount effects are still widely popular?

I should probably add that I'm a total noob before someone else does. :rolleyes:

I have alot of stuff that is modeled in some forms of software...sometimes Im tempted to sell some of that stuff, and just get some software...but I havent so far.

Since you're new to it all, I'd go software and save a lot of money. Used by someone with untrained ears, it's just as good. Someday you may be able to hear its limitations, and that's the day you need to start shopping for an LA2A (start saving now, though:().

The other side of that, though, is that the outboard stuff will hold its value much better, in case you want to keep 'trading up' over the years.

There is only a difference when comparing digital units to analog units. A digital rack unit uses software algorithms just like plugins do.

Its better to have the rack versions of things most of the time.

I used to believe that, not anymore. Really good hardware might be better, but not til you're at the top of the price ranges. ALL my plugins are better than ALL my hardware. Hardware wins the 'cpu cycles used' category.

Plugins can also do things that hardware can't, ie a compressor can read ahead and know what's coming up before it gets the sound, so it could have instant attack, or even negative attack time.

Can you record dry in a DAW, then run the sound to an interface output, into a compressor, then back in thru another input? I'm not sure how else you could record dry and use hardware for fx. That'd use up a lot of ins/outs on the interface.. I suppose that must be possible, but I've never tried it. Otherwise you'll be stuck recording the fx on your track, and if you don't like the sound, you'll have to retrack.

I use hardware for 'comfort' fx for musicians in their headphones during tracking, and for live PA use, and that's it. I record all tracks dry and apply all fx in the box with plugins later on.

Since you're new to it all, I'd go software and save a lot of money. Used by someone with untrained ears, it's just as good. Someday you may be able to hear its limitations, and that's the day you need to start shopping for an LA2A (start saving now, though:().

The other side of that, though, is that the outboard stuff will hold its value much better, in case you want to keep 'trading up' over the years.

I agree with that. I do use a few hardware effects units: a Yamaha Rev5, a Kurzweil Rumour and a Behringer 2496. They're all great boxes, and the 2496 kills every plugin I have including the UAD reverbs. I have things set up so that I can do either though...patch in hardware effects or just route software effects to the summing desk. Different tools for different jobs.

Frank

Back