Question about Storage

ESP85

I have a question. What do radio stations use to store their commercials or sweepers on? DAT, Cartriges, or something else?

ESP85

My dad used to work in a radio station and they used cassettes which, when played once, were ready to play again because they went in a loop. I'm not sure how they do it nowadays.

Isaiah

I hear some places use Minidiscs 'cause you can cue 'em up real fast and rearrange the order of the tracks on the disc pretty easily.Tascam makes a more robust model player intended for this use as well as permanent playback in parks etc.

Most stations nowadays have a large hard disk storage unit that has all their comercials and CDs stored and tracks can be called up at the hit of the button. Otherwise they have all their commercials stored on Carts (short for catridges) which are a continuous loop of 1/4" tape with the commercial recorded on it. The carts have tone pulses recorded on them to indicate the start and end of the track so when it has played back the track it spools on to the start again and is therefore ready to play again.
cheers

that sounds pretty right there john , cos ive noticed (a lot different i know but) even a lot of pubs now , instead of the old jukebox , have all there music cued up on hard disk , they have different cue lists for different times of the day (eg night , day , morning).. I would say radio stations would do something quite similar , i couldnt imagine with todays technology why they would rely on the skills of a guy loading up cartriges... sometimes computers are more relyable than us , sometimes i said !!
I was surprised actually the other month i went for a job recording voice talent , i couldnt understand why they were recording to minidisc , but then again it gave them an instant archive for later reference. Just being a pc user , i thought they might go direct to harddrive and do everything in there , then store on the server ..although from what ive heard audio really needs to be on a local drive for absolute reliabilty... well thats my thoughts..
spider

When i was a DJ we did all of our psm (Public service message) and other good stuff staight from the computer. The computer gave us tons of flexability. I did all of my show promos in my room with samples of comedians, music and best of all giving my cat roger a bath!

Back