Question about my ART Pro Channel II

Delmont

Just plugged my new Pro Channel II into my Tascam. I have lots of questions, but the first is the most basic:

There's a loud buzz through the headphones. I tried the phase inverter button, but it made no difference. I tried switching mics, but that didn't help, either.

So, any suggestions on how to get rid of the buzz?

Thanks!

Are both the Tascam and the ART plugged into the same power outlet? If not, that could cause some nasty buzzing.

How high is the gain turned up on the ART? Cranking the input gain can exaggerate buzzes.

Are you plugging the ART's output into a line input on the Tascam? If you're plugging it into a mic/instrument input, the extra amplification can really exaggerate a buzz/hum.

From your 04-01-2017 you had the same question. Didn't look like you got a response. I also wanted to know what your 'Tascam' was as you didn't note it in this thread which is a 2488NEO which was mentioned in this thread.
Best way to run a channel strip into a digital recording deck?

"The back of the Tascam includes these jacks:

- Effect send 1
- Effect send 2
- Mic/Line (four XLR jacks)
- Mic/Line (four 1/4" jacks)

The jacks on the channel strip include:

- Loop insert 1/4" pair: Preamp out > Comp in
- Loop insert 1/4" pair: Comp out > EQ in
- 1/4" unbalanced output
- Balanced XLR output
- Balanced XLR input
- Instrument input 1/4" (on the front)"

You didn't say what type of cable you were using for the hookup. I also have an ART Pro Channel and 2488NEO. I use and XLR-F (female) from the ART to 1/4" TRS which is usually plugged into one of the combo jacks, but could be one of the other 1/4" Line inputs as well. This maintains a balanced connection between the units.

If you should use an XLR to connect the ART and still get hum, it appears there is a ground lift switch which may reduce or eliminate the hum. A TRS plug in the jack I circled could likely be a hum maker.

If you're using a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS to interconnect the two devices, it may be possible to get hum if the ring connection at the ART doesn't connect to anything in the TS unbalanced jack.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Are both the Tascam and the ART plugged into the same power outlet? If not, that could cause some nasty buzzing.

How high is the gain turned up on the ART? Cranking the input gain can exaggerate buzzes.

Are you plugging the ART's output into a line input on the Tascam? If you're plugging it into a mic/instrument input, the extra amplification can really exaggerate a buzz/hum.
They're in the same power strip. The gain is at noon. It's in a mic input via an XLR cable.

If you're using a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS to interconnect the two devices, it may be possible to get hum if the ring connection at the ART doesn't connect to anything in the TS unbalanced jack.
I'm using mic to XLR to ART to XLR to Tascam. Yup, it's still the 2488NEO. Now that the weather has warmed up, I'm trying it again.

Update: A friend is going to lend me a device he uses to kill interference from things like fluorescent lights. It is that kind of loud buzz, so it's worth a try.

Back