Question about cables and patchbays

Matt C.

I've been thinking about expanding my patchbay setup and in the process redoing a lot of the wiring in my studio with cables i will make myself. however, i have a couple important questions:

1. regarding the type of cable i buy - should i definitely buy bulk cable with braided copper shielding, or is foil shielding reasonable for semi-permanent wiring of consoles/patchbays/etc? i know the braided shielding is supposed to be much more durable. and when i looked at the specs of foil shielding, it said it is most effective at extremely high frequencies (way above audible range). should i just stick with braided shield? (i am leaning toward mogami 2552)

2. regarding the length of cable runs going around the studio - does the rule about keeping runs of unbalanced cable under 20' or so (to avoid noise and high frequency loss) hold true for line level signals going in and out of a console? is that 20' meant to refer to the length of one single cable, or the entire singal path (even if there are effects/etc patched into the path)?

my concern is that right now i have the effects loops of each mixer channel going to a normalled patchbay and back, which means it's traveling 6'-10' each way at all times. add in a few 3' patch cables to send that signal to an outboard effect and back, and then another 6'-10' or so to send it from the console to the computer or the 2-track machine, and these signals end up traveling pretty far. i haven't noticed any really bad problems with noise or high frequency loss, but i hate to have to worry about it. am i thinking about this the wrong way, or do i really need to reorganize things to keep all cables as short as possible?

3. what are the benefits of a tt/bantam patchbay with soldered connections? more durable connections and more efficient space-wise?

4. right now i just have a couple of those cheap old tascam rca-1/4" patchbays. they seem to be working okay, but is there a simple way to get in there and clean the jack connections?

thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

correct me if i'm wrong, but the rule about 20' cable runs only applies to unbalanced signals (such as TS), if you have TRS 1/4", XLR, anything with a ground, i don't think that you should have any greif (considering in some live situations balanced signals run hundreds of feet).

The cable runs you are talking about will not be a problem. I have a bunch of 20' unbalanced runs and lots of balanced...
...both are equally quiet.
The trick is to have good grounding with all your gear, as that's where your unbalanced lines can be in danger.

AFA the foil VS copper braid...foil is fine for permanent installation.
I think I even have some snakes I made with foil-shielded cables.
If the casing is good quality, that foil ain't going anywhere. You would have to coil those cables super tight to maybe get some cracks in the foil...or if the cables are always getting stepped on.
Otherwise...even for light moving around, the foil is OK if it's good quality casing.

Of course, for lots of moving and in real rough handling situations...the braid will give and never crack, so it's the better choice. I usually do all my mic cables with braid.
Foil gives 100% shielding...the best/tightest braid only gets close.

it's not unusual for concert level snakes to have foil... so dont sweat it... although i admit that i find braided easier to work with...

Back