Quadraverb 2 Problem

dudge

I got a Quadraverb 2.
The verbs sound nice and it works fine with the analog 1/4 in cabling for the headphone mix thru my MOTU 828mkII and Cuemix.
My problem lies in the digital ADAT connections.

I was hoping to be able to use the verb like a plugin in Digital Performer on the mix.
When I hook up the light pipe cables in and out and route a track through the Quadraverb and back, I get the verb but I get a lot of noise, too.

Sometimes this noise is intermittent crackle and hiss, sometimes just steady noise.
When the noise presents itself the input meters on the quadraverb hit red.

I think I have everything set properly on the Quadraverb. This is just straight digital in and out, so there should be no conversion taking place and no clocking matching problems or anything like that, right? Or no? I'm sending out 44.1 24bit audio.

I also tried running a software verb out the ADAT out port and back in the ADAT in port and recording to a new track with first one then the other light pipe cable to check them, and both work just fine.

Could I have a dirty or bad connection at the Quadraverb or worse? Am I doing something wrong?

Any Ideas?

dudge said:
I think I have everything set properly on the Quadraverb. This is just straight digital in and out, so there should be no conversion taking place and no clocking matching problems or anything like that, right? Or no? I'm sending out 44.1 24bit audio.

Digital audio signal needs one clock source regardless of conversion... It certain sounds as though you have clock issues. I'm not familiar with the Qverb 2 but you should try to set it as slave (external), and match the bit rate and sample frequency to the setting in the MOTU, it you can't set the Qverb clock source to external then you'll have to set the MOTU as slave and run it at the available setting from the Qverb...

Your symptoms don't really indicate this but, you could have an audio loop creating feedback with your send and return...

Master/ slave issues were OK.

I did a quick recording at 48k and everything works.
The quadraverb only works if you send it a 48k signal.
Too bad I don't really want to record at 48k. :(

Thanks!

Back