profire 610 vs nrv10

willaz

hey guys looking for some advice...

I'm really interested replacing my profire 610 and my 1402 VLZ Pro with the NRV 10. quickly, here's why:

1) I'm pretty sure I've never needed a mixer without also needing an interface. It seems like the NRV10 would really makes things simple.

2) The 8 inputs, and especially the 5 mic inputs, would be a great improvement.

3) Unlike the other firewire mixer I've been looking at (Onyx 1220) I can assign the main outs as my input for a stereo track in my DAW. This will be EXTREMELY handy for live streaming audio and video podcasts. It seems that I can use the device the same way you would a live mixer (faders, mute, solo) while also using it as my sound card. To me this is the big draw.

4) I could use interFX, as I have great plugins but crappy hardware.

5) While it's not a control surface, I can see the NRV10 being quite useful when it comes to post monitoring.

I do have some concerns though. In order to buy the NRV10 I would need to sell my profire and my mackie mixer. If the thing sucks, I'll be left with no second option. so...

1) how are the pres compaired to Mackie's XDR's and the M-audio octane's on the profire? good enough to drive sennheiser 835's and/or sm58's?

2) How do the converters stack up? The only time i need truly great quality is for voice over work. I have a grace m101 that I use for my go-to VO mic, the sm7b. 96kHz vs the 182 kHz I get from the profire won't really matter for me, but if there are any other a/d conversion issues I need to know about that would be awesome.

3) general bugginess. I've had no problems with my profire, so I would assume the NRV10 would be reliable as well, but you never know...

4) Durability. Both my Mackie and profire have been through trauma without even a scratch. Will the NRV be the same?

5) Can I plug the NRV10 into a 4 pin firewire 400 input?

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to record Grammy winning albums. I want something that will most importantly provide professional quality voice over tracks, will record decent demos for small bands, will be useful for live internet programs, and will produce high-quality sound for film...according to indie film standards.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Back