Problem with Avalon AD2022

Richard Monroe

Oh my! I think this puppy's going in for repair, but I thought I'd ask if this problem rings a bell with any of the gear heads out there. I have a problem with the left channel only. When the gain is brought up, the channel begins to snap, crackle, and pop. This indicates as input, the input light responds, and the level meter indicates it. It only happens when phantom power is engaged, and it is quite audible. Sounds like a problem with the phantom power supply.
Question- could it be a problem with the toroidal power supply, which only affects one channel? Any ideas?-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Oh my! I think this puppy's going in for repair, but I thought I'd ask if this problem rings a bell with any of the gear heads out there. I have a problem with the left channel only. When the gain is brought up, the channel begins to snap, crackle, and pop. This indicates as input, the input light responds, and the level meter indicates it. It only happens when phantom power is engaged, and it is quite audible. Sounds like a problem with the phantom power supply.
Question- could it be a problem with the toroidal power supply, which only affects one channel? Any ideas?-Richie

Don't plug any mics into it. Go for repair. It sounds like there is either a bad solder joint, or bad wire at the input. The input is balanced. You are probably hearing the +48v powersupply "hitting" the input stage of the pre-amp. If the line becomes unbalanced, the pre will amplify the difference between the two input signals. You could fry a dynamic if this is the problem. Better safe than sorry.

Richard, sorry to hear about your preamp problem. Let me know how it all works out, so if I ever need repairs, I will know what to expect from Avalon, if in fact that is who you send it to for repairs.

Yo Rick! I don't know who resurrected this thread 5 years later (has it really been that long?)
But what the hell? I might as well tell you the resolution. The preamp was damaged when I ignorantly plugged a Shure SM82 into it and turned on the phantom power-Oops! It turned out to be a *line level* mic with a built in preamp, so I had plugged a line level source into a mic level input! Not good.
Under warranty, I took it to Guitar Center, where I had bought it. They shipped it to Avalon at their expense, so I got out of payng for the shipping. Avalon returned it 10 days later with the left side completely replaced. I am still using it, and it has given me no further trouble. And they sent me my very own Avalon T-shirt. No questions asked, no money changed hands. On this deal, I have not one bitch about Avalon, or for that matter, GC, who handled the whole thing without a hitch.-Richie

Back