PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 digital recording and performance mixer

NYMorningstar

Recording Modus Operandi
I'll be mixing and recording live on one of these this week. Are there any quirks or special features that I should be aware of? I'll be using about 16 ins. Please share.

@ NYMorningstar

I'll be mixing and recording live on one of these this week. Are there any quirks or special features that I should be aware of? I'll be using about 16 ins. Please share.

I've got one.
They are very easy to use. Just like an analog board with added effects/features.
I also use mine like an analog board (without a computer - without the Capture program).
I cannot comment on the Capture program, as I have not used it yet.
I actually use mine with an Alesis Masterlink hooked up to the digital out.
When I want to get technical, (meaning,...keepin' tracks separated, since I do not use a computer)...
I hook it up to my Tascam 688...separate the tracks, and then send 'em back in, without any sound quality loss. (to my ears anyway)
Very STERILE recordings. Preamps are of very high quality.
There really isn't anything to comment on, because it is very easy to use.
If you get stuck with anything,..just reply back to this exact thread, and I'll do my best to help.
Extremely EXCELLENT for "live" recordings. You can polish a turd with it.
I would recommend spending at least 2-3 hours with it before you go do a live gig with it. Just to get familiar with your routings, and effects.
The great thing about it is,..you can recall that mix at any time.
Reverbs and delays are usable...no need for any outboard effects.
Just be careful when adding effects, because when you think you're using a little,...you're actually using a lot. Meaning keep your effects knobs below 12:00...unless you want your mix to come out "washy".

Thanks Vessel2020, that is awesome. I'm not going to get time to spend with it ahead of the gig but it will be all set to go for me to take over at sound check. I'll be spending the 3 hours and more on the manual ahead of time.

I did see the software run on a macbook and it just all sinc'd together on it's own, pretty simple. Any change you make in the software changes on the mixer also. Saving the matrixes(scenes) seems awesome too. I'll be sure to get back at you.

Thanks Vessel2020, that is awesome. I'm not going to get time to spend with it ahead of the gig but it will be all set to go for me to take over at sound check. I'll be spending the 3 hours and more on the manual ahead of time.

I did see the software run on a macbook and it just all sinc'd together on it's own, pretty simple. Any change you make in the software changes on the mixer also. Saving the matrixes(scenes) seems awesome too. I'll be sure to get back at you.

I'm sure you'll have it licked in no time at all, especially if you are reading the manual.
I dove right into mine, without reading the manual first,...and found my way around the whole mixer within an hour. Then when I finally did read the manual,...I found a couple things that were overlooked,..like the 31 band EQ section,..that you have to press the "system' button on, and then the "page down" button to get to. This is a very important feature that must NOT be overlooked.
You can control each channels EQ section within each channel,...and then have a 31 band EQ control over the mix as a whole. There is also a separate EQ section on the aux. & effects channels.
I believe you'll be just fine at soundcheck. It's an EXCELLENT mixer. I am very happy with it,..and I think you'll definitely enjoy using it. You'll probably want to pick one up after you use it. The clarity is amazing.
I'm thinking of upgrading to the 24 channel StudioLive, myself...but gotta get rid of my synthesizer / reel to reel addiction first.:eek::D

All went well. The big lesson learned was not to recall the fader positions before you save the scene, lol. Used all external effects and had graphic eq's for the mains and monitors already setup. I have to figure out some group mutes because we have speakers between sets and it's was a pain hitting some 20 odd mute buttons off and on. It'll be a breeze I'm sure. Didn't use a laptop but recorded the headphones stereo feed onto a zoom recorder for the guitarist. it was all good. Thanks for helping me get through this vessel2020.

Back