Presonus firestudio project ???

Purple Pig

I did a search for this question, and either didnt use the search feature correctly, or couldnt find what I was looking for. So...

Just got my second firestudio project. First one was damaged. This one, when connected imediately showed signal on the unit itself, so I connected to PC and signal was showing in the presonus software, so opened cubase and after setup, was showing that the signal was being recorded. I went into device setup and was trying to setup the presonus as input device, and the soundblasters card as output, but one or the other had to be used as both in and output, so I ran a cable from the output of the presonus to a power amp into my sp2's, but no sound. No sound could be heard either recording or in playback. Most of what I am doing, I am doing alone. So it is imparative that I be able to hear previously recorded tracks while recording. I will have to dig to find my headphone's, and prefer not to use them anyway.
Any help would be apriciated.
If you need to know the signal path, it is:
Mic-presonus-Aux out-in on compressor-in on eq-aux in presonus
from presonus, firewire to cpu
main outs to power amp-sp2

BUMP BUMP BUMP

Is there noone that can help me with this? I only have a few days left before the 15 day return is up!!!!

If the only suggestion is to return and use a different unit, What unit for around $500 doesnt have issues? It seems that every interface is full of issues, hit or miss. That just isnt acceptable to me, there should be something out there that will work, all the time. Basically, all I need is an interface that will allow me to record, and then play what I have recorded while I am playing another track, without the prerecorded being 2 seconds behind!! I do most of it myself, and also the preamps are not a must have for me, I have a nice mixer and a rack full of effects that I used when I was gigging(maybe again soon!!)

I know I am an idiot, but come on, please thow a dog a bone!!

Ive heard that most audio interfaces dont run correctly while the default card is still active. Try disabling the soundblaster and using the outputs of the firepod and see if that helps. If it doesnt then I suggest looking through the presonus forums about chipset compatibilities. Maybe someone can give you more experienced advice but either way I say good luck.

I'd suggest forgetting about the inputs for now... you know those work, that you're getting signal at the interface and the DAW... Just play prerecorded material from the computer and experiment with the ASIO settings and DAW channel assignments in the DAW until you've got sound... the rest should fall right into place... I think that's where your problem lies...

I have a Firestudio Project and have been messing around with it for the last few months. But it seems like sometimes when I record, after recording for a bit, about a minute into the track, I start getting cracks and pops on my tracks (sounds like it's digital interference). Is something wrong with my Presonus or it my computer? Did I mess something up?

Also, does anyone else notice problems if you have an XLR cable plugged into an input, and while the Firestudio is on, you pull it out of that input and plugged in a 1/4 inch input instead?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

No sound could be heard either recording or in playback. Most of what I am doing, I am doing alone. So it is imparative that I be able to hear previously recorded tracks while recording. I will have to dig to find my headphone's, and prefer not to use them anyway.

Check for a signal with your headphones, but i am guessing you just have the routing messed up. Go into Devices > VST connections in CueBase and make sure you have your outputs buss set correctly.
They should be something like
Buss 1
ASIO Presonus Firestudio Stereo Out
Device Port
1 Firestudio 1 L
2 Firestudio 2 R

Actually I just did a screen shot for you. I have Cubase SX so it may be a bit different.

CBvstcon.jpg

If you dont see anything like that remove the buses and then add a stereo buss and select the appropriate output for it. Make sure your ASIO device is the firestudio in setup.

Hope this helps.

I have a Firestudio Project and have been messing around with it for the last few months. But it seems like sometimes when I record, after recording for a bit, about a minute into the track, I start getting cracks and pops on my tracks (sounds like it's digital interference). Is something wrong with my Presonus or it my computer? Did I mess something up?

You need to increase your buffer size.

Also, does anyone else notice problems if you have an XLR cable plugged into an input, and while the Firestudio is on, you pull it out of that input and plugged in a 1/4 inch input instead?

What sort of problems? Which input? 1 & 2 have instrument DI type of 1/4 connections. Hearing a pop or click may be normal when removing something, just lower the gain on the channels, turn phantom power off and shut off your or turn down your monitors before you unplug/plugin stuff.

-josh

Back