Presonus Blue Tube pre?

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
I've been using the mixer of my digital 4-track for a preamp into my soundcard.
I dumped it and got a Presonus from Ebay.
Haven't plugged it in yet, and I've read an insanely wide range of opinions about the stereo Blue Tube!
What's the deal?
Can I record vox with no noise?
Any experiences?

It's not as quiet as some other choice in the price range,
like the M-Audio DMP3 or Studio Projects VTB-1.
Sell the Blue Toob and get one of those instead, if that's the
price range you want.
You may not want that starved plate tube distortion on all your tracks.

Chris

Hey, plug it in and use it. Let your own ears be the judge. If you like it, great. If not, at least you'll know what you don't like. Sell it and learn from your experience.

Mine's very quiet unless it's cranked and the tubes are mixed in. Any amp is going to make some noise at extreme levels. I don't use the tube much though. Not a bad box for cheap. My mixer pres sound better to me though. More open. The Blue Tube amps seem a bit dark which may be a good thing for some stuff.

If you've got it--use it. It works, sort of...................

If you don't have it. Stay away from it. Not such a hot sounding device. It's about as clean as a pig in a bathtub filled with mud.

Small mackie mixer or DMP3 will probably serve you better.

Plus, Acorec had the wall wart for his start on fire. If you want a bad sounding flammable pre-amp, the Blue tube is great.

Didn't know just how crummy it was until I got a few other pres.

But, if you still want one. I've got one for sale. :o

-Jtt

jet-rocker said:
If you've got it--use it. It works, sort of...................

If you don't have it. Stay away from it. Not such a hot sounding device. It's about as clean as a pig in a bathtub filled with mud.

Small mackie mixer or DMP3 will probably serve you better.

Plus, Acorec had the wall wart for his start on fire. If you want a bad sounding flammable pre-amp, the Blue tube is great.

Didn't know just how crummy it was until I got a few other pres.

But, if you still want one. I've got one for sale. :o

-Jtt

Same Here! I thought it was great when I got it. It seemed better that the pre's on my Behringer MX8000 console. Now, after my BT burned up, I got a Focusrite Viocemaster Pro and an RNP.
If you never try a great pre-amp, you will be happy with the Blue Tube. If you get the BT, then I suggest never trying a great pre-amp.

It sounds good to me. It's a quantum leap ahead of my digi mixer as a pre!!
Noise doen't seem to be an issue with it (unless it's cranked).
Must've had a tube job.
Some time, I'll step up. But this is a step up for me! Sounds pretty warm.

Change of tube helped mine alot, go to ebay and score a NOS Mullard or Telefunken for it and the difference will be night and day.

Sounds great to me!!
Per your recommendation, I scored an Electro Harmonix tube from Ebay for 8 bucks. Thing is very low-noise. I recorded some acoustic guitar with it, and it sounds deep and full. And sits nicely on my rhythm tracks.
The Presonic might not be the best preamp, but I don't know any better and it is worlds better than my digital 4-track pre.

http://www.mountainmirrors.com

Get a DMP3 one of these days and compare your Blue Tube tracks to your DMP3 tracks.

You'll kick yourself over all the good tracks you wasted using the Blue Tube.

The Blue Tube is the second worst purchase I've ever made for my studio (the C1000s was the worst).

You're talking to a guy who used a Zoom RFX 300 two years ago!!
You wanna hear noise?...whew...
Maybe it's the Electro Harmonix tube, but this thing produces a warm vintage tone!
I use it for Vox and micing an acoustic guitar.
Sounds Beatles-esque! Think "Norweigen Wood".
Personally, that's exactly what I want.
The heavy electric stuff's all done with the J-Station. No other pre's.
In a year or two, I'll step up.

Back