Presonus + ADL = ???????

pdlstl

Got this today from Presonus...

Anybody know anything about it?

http://www.presonus.com/images/adl600big.jpg

ADL 600 High Voltage Class A Two-Channel Tube Preamplifier

Anthony DeMaria of ADL and PreSonus have teamed up to bring you the ADL 600. Designed by world renown tube circuit designer Anthony DeMaria, the ADL 600 is a serious tube preamplifier with sound and character that is all its own. The ADL 600 delivers two matched channels delivering 70dB of ultra quiet gain, extremely high headroom, deep and solid low end, and silky smooth highs. It adds a "richness" and three dimensional extension to your sound - a musical tube character that is extremely well balanced with tons of tone.

The ADL 600 has microphone, instrument and line inputs so it's ready add its tube magic to any microphone, instrument, keyboard or stereo program material. Since the ADL 600 has +4dB balanced line inputs you can run your mixes through it to add warmth, depth, and richness. The ADL600 also has variable microphone input impedance, switchable high pass filter, 20dB pad and both analog and digital meters.

The ADL 600 is a Class A, discrete design packed with six vacuum tubes operating at voltages of over +/-300 volts (600 volts peak to peak) for ultimate tube sonics, high headroom and over 70dB of clean and quiet gain. The ADL 600 is loaded with the highest quality components including military grade vacuum tubes, switched attenuators, conductive plastic trim potentiometers and is built like a tank by PreSonus in the USA to last a lifetime.

The ADL 600 is scheduled to be shipping in January. The final retail price has not been officially announced. Stay tuned...

I talked to Anthony DeMaria himself about this unit. He says it is awesome! I will be getting one in a month or so and will let you guys know what I think. From what he is saying this is one of those units everybody will be wanting once they hear it. I have a couple of pieces made by ADL and they are amazing! ADL makes products that have "true" tube sound. Oh yeah not cheap either. The ADL600 will probably cost $2k. Now why can't he make the Fairchild a little easier to get!

He got the info from the same place I got my info.....Mr DeMaria himself........Nice hour long covnersation too. I will be plopping for one of these as well. Custom wound transformers... all tubes... transparent sound.... :) GREAT!!!!

Street price of $2000.

Remember this item will not ship till next month (Jan) so I am sure Music123 has it all wrong. DeMaria said if he sold it direct himself the price would be in the upper 3k range not the 2k range mass marketing will allow it to be sold for.

night'schild said:
ADL makes products that have "true" tube sound.

Pardon me... can I vomit now?

ADL stuff has been crap for well over a decade... me thinks you might want to play with some "true tube" stuff before you're so hot to jump on the bus... but that's just one asshole's opinon.

As for Anthony... great guy. Last time I saw him we got pretty hammered and drove little Formula 1 replicas around a track in Oakland, CA... I'm just not a fan of his "design" work... and granted, I haven't heard the pre, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 16 pre's that are fucking amazing in the $2k price range.

I hope you enjoy the thing when you get it... but even more, I hope you do some comparisons to make sure that it is indeed the best piece of gear to support the musical statements you're producing.

Peace.

So fletch are you implying I'd be happier with the MDP-1???

Also are you guys still selling the 737 ME?

I miss my purple knobbed 737's. Should have never gotten rid of them. I liked them better than the Jensen Laden Silver knob beast.

giles,

how dare you buy a piece of gear that isn't stocked at mercenary! and what's with hyping the adl 600? seriously, only gear at mercenary audio deserves to be hyped. did you hear that the great river pre can make you a better songwriter??

-teddy

ROFL I gues you got my point huh recTech... LOL

Now if mercenary would do a full reissue of the Original Avalon VT-737 I might line up to buy 2 of them. Sometimes we do dumb stuff and unloading my Avalons was Dumb!!!!!!

This ADL600 might make up for that loss of a good tube mic pre in my life... Plus I hate Transistors....With a Massive Passive Passion. LOL

Bryan, I wasn't implying shit other than I have yet to find Anthony's work to be all that great and that the brother might want to compare some stuff before plopping down a couple of grand... now you can read whatever sinister sales weasel shit you'd like to into the comment... but I never suggested anything as an alternative, only that he check out some other stuff.

Understand that the stuff that is carried by Mercenary Audio is carried by Mercenary Audio because as engineers we find it to be a tool that is useful and unique. We get sent a whole lot of products every year that don't "make the cut" to be added to the M-A roster. Sometimes they don't "make the cut" because of a build issue, sometimes because the sound is not unique enough or that base is already covered by something else on our roster. Every decision about what M-A will and will not carry is made on a sonic level and build quality level before any other factors weigh into the equation.

There is some stuff that we carry that is carried by a lot of distribution outlets... but we happened to find it first [like the Empirical Labs "distressor"], there is some stuff we carry for which we are the only source in N. America [like the Horch Microphone].

There is some stuff we don't carry because the company can't pass our "social audit" [in other words, they fucked over their designer and we won't have anything to do with a company that fucks over their designer... which was why we went from being the second largest Summit Audio dealer in the world to dropping the line within 3 months].

I don't quite understand your point about the Avalon stuff... I'm a little obtuse, maybe you can spell out the connection for me.

We all have social audits and you failed mine. I had on my list for December to by the 737 Merc Edition and was looking at that Quartet merc Edition.

Now in this thread we have voiced our opinions of gera yet you (a foolsih vendor who does not know a customer when he sees one) have cussed and moaned.

Personally I dont like Manley Gear. I remember using the ELOP when it came out and was offended by the response it had at less than 1db of Compression.

I understand us being us, but you are a professional. But you sound like good old eric from bombfactory to me. Very opinionated (which is fine but very loose with his tongue) which is why I am glad they are no more.

So far as summit. I never liked the transsitory sounded stuff every since I heard and used the 1st piece in 1996. (not stuff instead of sh*t) Remember 13 yeard olds read here too. I happen to have 2 of them in my household and they personally would laff you off the planet for not knowing a more intellectual way to verbalize your disapproval of disrespecteful people. Now that i have given my opinion. Thank goodness I can deal direct with the builders. (In Most cases)

Now I asked you a simple question that you did not answer. and my point about the Avalons is i loved them. I had 2 VT-737's (not the SP) and wish I had them back. I think they sounded better than the silver knobbed ones. After all I used them for 3 years, had a silver knob and didnt like the change in definition due to the transformers.

Peace.

That Music123 price has to be wrong. I've never heard anything other than the ADL line will cost around $2,000.

I had to restart this thread, because after reading more about the ADL 600 over on Gearstlutz, it looks like these are very nice pres among the slutz. So much for all the trash talk about it. Very funny I thought!

Back