Preamp vs new interface

hoongern

Hello all,

I have searched on the forum but they weren't exactly the answers I needed.

I currently own an E-MU 1616m & 2x AKG C451B condensers. My main projects are usually ambient recordings - I record wind bands, chamber groups, small orchestras, etc.

Now, I was planning on expanding my array, as I find I could do with more options while recording (I only get one shot at recording since they only perform once)

Obviously, I only have 2 mic inputs. So I kind of have two choices:
1) Keep the 1616M, and buy new preamps.
2) Sell the 1616M, buy something like the MOTU traveler, which has 4 pres.

Now, I don't know whether to put this in the mic section, but anyway -
my 1616M+C451B gives me a pretty accurate sound, and I was wanting to get a warmer sound.

I was thinking of Rode NT2-As (since they can be put in omni so I can do AB spaced recordings, and cardiod when I'm doing other things) but I don't know whether they are suited to ambient recordings.

My budget for both Mics + preamps should not exceed $1.3k.

Oh another thing, I travel back and forth between 120V/60Hz and 240V/50Hz countries, so I have to make sure that I get something compatible in both places, and that it is not too big&heavy. (I *could* get a transformer if absolutely necessary, but that's another thing to carry)

P.S. I forgot to add, if at all possible, (if I were to get an external pre) I'd want it to be digital (S/PDIF probably) since I'd like to save my 4 line ins on my 1616M.

Hope you guys can help me out. Thanks!

Why the Motu Traveler, you could get the Motu 8Pre, have 8 preamps if you want lots of mics for 550 new. That will save you a couple hundred towards the new mics you plan on purchasing. Then your budget should cover everything
you want. The pres on the 8pre are at least as good as what you have now.

I don't know anything about the AKG C451B's or the Rode's but I think the warmest mic I have in my arsenal is an AT4040. I'd have to say compared
to the Delta 1010's I have in one DAW the Motu sounds almost analog seems
to have a broader sound.

Last edited:
First I would keep using the AKG C451B; do not change these unless you can upgrade to a pair of Neumann KM 184 or 183.

I would get the Apogee Mini Me Stereo USB . It should be a good improvement over your 1616m. It can be used by itself using the USB to your PC or you can use the Digital Outs to go to your 1616m for additional channels. There is also an Apogee Mini-Me Carrying Case to help transporting it while you are traveling.

With the extra money I would look for ONE good LDC Mic to do vocals for other projects.

Back