Preamp Rack Box Quesiton

JerryD

I'm working on my recording chain. Right now I'm using a builtin preamp on a Mackie 1202 VLZ. Is this good enough or can I do way better by running the Mic through a rack mountable preamp?

I'm working on my recording chain. Right now I'm using a builtin preamp on a Mackie 1202 VLZ. Is this good enough or can I do way better by running the Mic through a rack mountable preamp?

Good enough for what? What's your budget? I suppose you could upgrade to something like this.

Let me research preamps some and I'll get back with. I don't understand them enough to even ask a good question. Thanks.

Let me research preamps some and I'll get back with. I don't understand them enough to even ask a good question. Thanks.
Honestly Jerry... as a general rule of thumb in home recording, if you don't understand what it is, or what it does, you're not ready, you don't need it yet... If you're unhappy with audio results, look towards technique first, if you're happy with the results, there's no need to spend money... yet

The sky is the limit. Check out these: http://www.mercenary.com/micpres1.html

There are plenty of good mic pres cheaper than the high end stuff. I just wanted to get across to you the vast selection.

The thing is... they all have there own characteristics. One maybe good for a particular vocal while one maybe good for capturing the audio of a fart. Some are transparent while some have color or mojo if you will. And some just plan suck.

But no matter what you have nothing is better than knowing how to use these devices in conjunction with everything.

Honestly Jerry... as a general rule of thumb in home recording, if you don't understand what it is, or what it does, you're not ready, you don't need it yet... If you're unhappy with audio results, look towards technique first, if you're happy with the results, there's no need to spend money... yet

GREAT advice.

The other thing about preamps is that the sonic differences between them, while audible, are often quite subtle. Beware of the marketing hype that promotes xyz preamp as delivering the Voice of God. There are differences, but often they are not as "amazing" and significant as the ads make them out to be. Remember, many of our favorite classic hits from the 60s into the 90s were recorded on multitrack consoles and used only the pres that came with those boards (API, Neve, Sony, SSL, Quad 8, etc.). The era of the mix and match stand alone boutique pre is relatively recent.

The Mackie mic pres are not awful, but there are certainly better mic pres out there. Improving your mic pres certainly helps. The difference can often not be as big and you might expect, but a small improvement over a lot of tracks starts to add up.

So true. I came back to uk and needed some gear quickly got a s/h Phonic? mixer for£80/bout $110, 4 mic pre's + 8 line in's not great..(um right!) But with GOOD mics and placement and technique can still get acceptable results..though it mainly does headphone feed these days.

So Jerry with the Mackie u should be able to get way bttr recordings.
Also look at the ROOM and how it affects u'r sound.

Back