Preamp Question...

Booker

Hello.

I have a dilemma. I live in a remote place and thus I have no means of trying out gear before I buy it. All I can do is read reviews and take (or not take) advice from others.

Anyway, I'm putting together a very small studio where my mic will be the Neumann TLM-103 and then I'll have some sort of high-quality sound-card (not sure which one yet).

My problem is that I can only afford 1 preamp. I will mainly be using it for my voice, but also some other instruments like guitar, keyboard and flute. Now I love warm og grungy sounds in my music... I for instance love the sound on Smashing Pumpkins' Adore album and bands like Pearl Jam and Beastie Boys are cool too, soundwise.

Now, when I read preamp reviews. Most people go nuts about tube preamps. So it really sounds like that's what I'm looking for. But then again, most reviews also mention that these tubepre's will noticably color the sound. I been looking at JoeMeek VC6Q, but I'm afraid that it will color every
track on a song and that this is a bad thing? Is it?? I don't know much about recording. Yet... So I guess my question is if you guys think that I should get a all-round non-tube pre-amp like the Drawmer MX60 or a PreSonus VXP? Or is it alright to record an entire low-budget album with a tube-pre??

I have a good computer and intend to use it for mixing and for some fx.

Any light shed would be appreciated! Thanks.

Mike.

The JoeMeek is one of those tube pres that does impart it's definite charcter on everything, a little more so than some tube pres (like an ART MP) It's not a bad thing, but you'd just have to hope that that sound worked for you.

I haven't heard the Presonus- looks like a gem. :)

Check out the DBX 386. (Wish I had one) :(
The digital out is definitly a plus recording to hard disk.

-jhe

Back