preamp out into input with phantom power...problem?

drembo

I have a tube preamp with a transformer balanced output that I want to run into a line input of my Focusrite saffire pro 40. The input of the Focusrite may have phantom power on it at times. Will this voltage cause any problems for my tube pre?

My understanding is the transformer won't pass DC.
But.. hold out for something better than a best guess ;)

The Focusrite only allows for phantom power to be switched on/off to the first bank of four inputs or the second bank of four independently. So, turn on phantom power to input number one, you turn on phantom power to numbers 2, 3, and 4 also. I want to plug my preamp into one of those channels. All inputs will take line level or mic level. In addition, inputs one and two will take an instrument by engaging the proper switch. I suppose all the inputs will run through a preamp. So, I think if I have the phantom power turned on for either of the banks of inputs, it won't matter if I have a line input or mic input, it's gonna apply phantom power. Or maybe the TRS input in the combo jack bypasses the phantom power. That's probably how it works and I am overthinking it. In fact, I am pretty sure thats the way it works.

Back