preamp mixer connection

Leeking

Hi guys,

I am planning to get a preamp, my question is how do I connect the preamp with the mixer? should I connect the preamp's output to the mixer's preamp or line-in?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I am recording with my soundcard, so I prefer to go through the mixer so I don't have to mess too much with my soundcard's jacks.

:-)

The mixer may be convenient but you'll usually get the best sound by cutting out any unnecessary links in your chain. This is why I haven't even warmed up to the idea of getting a patch bay, as convenient and cool-looking as that might be. I'm sure I couldn't hear the difference going through the patch bay vs. not going through the patch bay, but over time it's one more thing that could degrade a recording if I'm not sharp enough to catch the moment when a connection goes south. And the expense of all those extra cables doesn't make it any more desirable. If you don't need any of the mixer's functionality (extra channels/EQ/effects) I'd skip it. One of my favorite features on my preamp is the dual outputs. I use one for my monitoring circuit and one for recording. That way I don't have to compromise the recording for the sake of convenient monitoring.

drstawl said:
One of my favorite features on my preamp is the dual outputs. I use one for my monitoring circuit and one for recording. That way I don't have to compromise the recording for the sake of convenient monitoring.

Good idea! why didn't I think of that? :-)
BTW, is your dual output both 1/4" or 1/4", XLR?

I guess I can do that too with the ART tube MP, right?

preamp mixer connnection

My deal is just a tad different... I HAD to buy an interface....new Yamaha n8 mixer uses firewire and my notebook has no room for an expansion card to do firewire/usb conversion....so I bought the Steinberg UR22....very sweet little 2 in & 2 out preamp .....the n8 was designed around Cubase so it offers compression, EQ, reverb etc...with these capabilities, I can unload some of the work being asked of Cubase.....I too am recording acoustic piano with 2 mics....I mic into the mixer XLR IN jacks, use CR output to the preamp and then on to Cubase.....the preamp OUT goes to the monitors....QUESTION IS should the preamp OUT go back to the mixer and use the mixer's ST OUT for the monitors?

thanks

My deal is just a tad different... I HAD to buy an interface....new Yamaha n8 mixer uses firewire and my notebook has no room for an expansion card to do firewire/usb conversion....so I bought the Steinberg UR22....very sweet little 2 in & 2 out preamp .....the n8 was designed around Cubase so it offers compression, EQ, reverb etc...with these capabilities, I can unload some of the work being asked of Cubase.....I too am recording acoustic piano with 2 mics....I mic into the mixer XLR IN jacks, use CR output to the preamp and then on to Cubase.....the preamp OUT goes to the monitors....QUESTION IS should the preamp OUT go back to the mixer and use the mixer's ST OUT for the monitors?

thanks

Dood, you just replied to a 13 year old thread.

There are many more recent topics that answer the question you just asked.

Welcome to the forum whymark! :)

I seriously want to know how you came about this old thread? Was it a Google search that brought you to it? I am a mod here and we are trying to find ways to make the site more accessible to new members, but it is really strange when we get a post like this on such an old thread.

Please respond to me here or via PM. I can also move your post to an appropriate forum if you like.

Jimmy

Jimmy, welcome to my life where everyday is a brand new world for me!!...I actually just searched on this site, using various combos of keywords before I landed on this post...I was unaware of the antiquity of the thread. My question remains unanswered as of yet, could it be that all of the previous posters have died of old age??!! I figure a dumb question is better than a dumb mistake so I threw the post out there. If there's a better forum please redirect. I'm probably too much of a newbie to offer any worthwhilen insight as to how to make the accessibility easier for new users.

Mark
Prince of Dudes

Jimmy can move this to be its own thread if he wants but a few comments on your first post.

First, you may confuse a few people by calling the UR22 a pre amp. It's a USB interface that happens to have two mic pre amps built in.

Second, you have a ton of options and none are right or wrong--it's down to personal preference.

Technically, you could forget the N8 entirely and just use the interface (and many will probably suggest you do). However, in the N8 you have a very capable mixer and your present set up isn't using it to its full capacity.

It it was me, I'd:

Change the feed to the UR22 to come from the main stereo outs.

Connect your monitoring to the monitor outs on the mixer, allowing you to use the very comprehensive routing controls on the mixer. (Well, some of them since some depend on the Firewire connection.)

Bring the main outs of the interface back into the mixer on one of the stereo pairs..5/6 or 7/8.

Use the Aux send controls to created the headphone mix when recording.

Alternately, you could (for example) work as above but give the headphone mix from the mixer to one person while preserving the headphone out on the UR22 for yourself--this lets you have two different balances going.

As I say, there's no right or wrong but the above would seem to me to have the most flexibility.

Too bad about the Firewire but I feel your pain. I changed laptop a couple of years back and had a dickens of a time getting Firewire--I ended up getting a laptop with an Express Bus slot and using an adaptor there--but even this config was hard to find. God knows what I'll do next time.

Back